Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amplifier location

Discussion in 'Audio' started by NerdBoy, Jun 14, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything I was looking for in a search...

I am re-installing the system that the PO put in, and he had a 1400W amp screwed to the sub box. I am relocating the sub box, now, and I have no idea where I should put the amplifier. I want to keep it either 1) hidden or 2) in the cab (I like to keep the top off during the summer, and I don't want sun/rain hitting it).
    Where did you folks put your amps? Got any pictures?

Thanks in advance!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Alot of people mount thier amp(s) behind the side panals. Another idea would to build some sort of storage compartment overhead and mount them up there, providing it's not a full removable top.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am running both amps under the seats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am running both amps under the seats!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mounting them there would put them below the waterline for me... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Aw, I play in the rocks only...never thought about water crossings though?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, the rivers and streams here run pretty deep during the spring thaw. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif At least they did before this drought started... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine behind the side panels. "Out of sight, out of mind." They have never shut down because of heat, they don't take up valuable floor space, and if I get them wet, I'll have more to worry about than the sound system.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

custom interior

can't remember who's this is, but I saved it due to the set up of the interior. give ya an idea or two.

9. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of putting them inside the side panels. I was just worried about the heat. Maybe I should give that a shot.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If your amp isn't too big you may be able to fab up a couple of brackets and mount it under your dash. It would also depend on how much stuff is already under there.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If it's not to big, you can mount it in the glove box, then whenever you need to service it, un lock it, and pop it down /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I used aluminum diamond plate instead of wood for the rear side panels, looks awesome

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked it out tonight. The amp is too big to fit under the seats (stupid oversized Pyramid amp. I didn't buy it, this is from the previous owner)
    I'll look into putting inside the side panel, I guess.

The previous owner had it screwed to the side of the sub box. I am trying to free up some room in the back, and I figure that the first thing to do is get that amp somewhere else. I have a box with 2 12" subs in it, any ideas on how to save some space with that? I just switched out the ported box with a sealed one to save space, but I didn't get much....

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I checked it out tonight. The amp is too big to fit under the seats (stupid oversized Pyramid amp. I didn't buy it, this is from the previous owner)
    I'll look into putting inside the side panel, I guess.

The previous owner had it screwed to the side of the sub box. I am trying to free up some room in the back, and I figure that the first thing to do is get that amp somewhere else. I have a box with 2 12" subs in it, any ideas on how to save some space with that? I just switched out the ported box with a sealed one to save space, but I didn't get much....

[/ QUOTE ] I've seen a few members here build custom boxs into the side panels. Looks slick, and free's up alot of room.

16. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I have been told from numerous sources that, in multiple sub systems, the speakers work the best if they are on the same plane (like in a dual speaker box). I thought about putting them in the sides until I heard that. Has anyone heard a system that was set up with the subs put in the sides? If so, is the bass response actually degraded that much?

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I put my subs in the side and it kind of sucks. It was a great idea getting rid of the sub box, but you are lucky to have 1.2 cu ft behind a panel and it is in a crappy shape. Less than 4" deep! Plus, you have sheet metal as the back of the cabinet, which is none too rigid. With the right drivers it could be made to work, but never as good as a real sub box. Much less theif friendly, though. You would need a low Vas and a low Fs. If you really want bass this way, the way to go is to build the cabinet "out" 2-3 inches from where the stock side panels fit.

I have 2 small amps under the driver's seat and the sub amp behind one side panel. I also have the crossover mounted in a "window" in the side panel so the settings can be adjusted. Otherwise, the cabinet has to be open to adjust the settings, which could take a lot of attempts to get it right.

I have some pics, but not on this computer.

18. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Mine is mounted on the side panel, and gets REALLY hot...How does yours stay cool enough, being confined?
    Eddie

19. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's what I finally ended up doing:

Amp Location

It gets plenty of air where it is, and is somewhat shielded from the sun and water.

20. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Looks awesome, but mine wont fit there, I have aluminum diamond plate and my speakers are where your amp is