Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amps and subs installed.....doesn't thump like it should!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by stallion85, Jun 11, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Amps and subs installed.....doesn\'t thump like it should!

Heres the skinny, I just installed a new stereo(JVC), Amp(Kenwood 300 watts 2 channel),2 subs(Rockford fosgate Punch 2's). The stereo has a line output just for the subs and rca jacks for front and rear amps. Through the sub amp I have the Kenwood 300 watt and in the rear rca jack I have Punch 100 watt pushing 2 6x9's. For the sub outlet on the stereo there is only one left and right rca connection. So on the amp I have one left + and right -. Basically running one left and the other on the right. Both speaker outputs on the amp are used and running to the Q logic box. The thing is, it doesn't thump very hard? If I bridge it i can only run one speaker or tie both together and bridge it. That would just split the power back though.....I think??? Any advice would be great!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Amps and subs installed.....doesn\'t thump like it should!

Do you have the amp briged ??? How are the subs wired ??

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you have a gain adjustment on the amp you may need to turn that up.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Does your amp have a built in crossover ?? Make sure it's set on lowpass. A friend had a amp with one and it was set on full range and didn't hit worth a crap. I set it on lowpass and it hit hard and loud. Another thing to check [ QUOTE ]
    The stereo has a line output just for the subs and rca jacks for front and rear amps.

[/ QUOTE ] My JVC KD-LX50 has settings for the subs. One of the settings is for subwoofer volume.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also make sure that the wiring to each sub is in phase with the other. If they're out of phase they'll be pretty weak.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well, I don't know what I did but it works pretty darn good now. I messed with all the controls and now it hits hard. The gain was weird at first. If I cranked it up it would distort the speakers. So I messed with some other crap and walah when the gain was turned up it hit hard and clear /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    So I messed with some other crap and walah when the gain was turned up it hit hard and clear /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the beginning of a "Tech Article" for the Audio Forum.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I don't know what I did but it works pretty darn good now. I messed with all the controls and now it hits hard. The gain was weird at first. If I cranked it up it would distort the speakers. So I messed with some other crap and walah when the gain was turned up it hit hard and clear /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I've always started with the gain on the amp turned way down, turn up the volume on the stereo till right befor it starts to distort, then turn up the gain on the amp to right befor the subs start to distort. Don't know if thats the propper way to do it, but it's always worked for me.