Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amps: Where in your offroad rigs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87K506, Mar 26, 2007.

1. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I've been talking to my dad lately about my upcoming build/resto on my blazer. The original plan was carpet, but my dad pointed out that if I have the top off like i will the majority of the time, if it rains, the carpet will get wet...SO...we're gonna bedline the entire inside (I know ya'll are sayin dur..what other option is there lol). My question is I was going to mount my amp for my subs under a seat, but now that I think about it, that will be at the lowest point on the floor, and possibly come in contact with water. My question is, where do ya'll have your amps mounted? On the box is out of the question, as I dont like the idea of an amp being subjected to that much vibration. I was thinking behind the side panels in the back somewhere...maybe infront of the rear seat...The advantage there is 2 fold, stay out of the elements, and hidden from view. But I dont know if my amp that I have will fit behind there. Another option is to build a platform of sorts to get it up off the floor and still mount it under the seat. What would ya'll do? any other options?
    Cory

2. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I had the same problem, I got a little creative, took out all the carpet; made a console piece between the seats but attached to the roof. It actually came out of my 84 van. I have a dome light on the bottom and my cb, above the mounting board i had enough room for my amp and ran the wires down the passenger side window trim. I wish I had a pic for you to make this a little clearer.
    Basically its a shelf running from the top of the windshield to the stock dome light area. a few screws and some creativity and it was done, now if the amp gets wet, I am under water and the motor is toast anyway.

3. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

lol funny... The only problems i can think of with an idea like that is 1. I'm running my mono amp in 2 ohms and 2. I doubt it would fit without a big honkin console. I forgot to mention I'm going to have 2 amps...a mono and a 4 channel. I think my only option right now is to just build a platform to get them up off the floor... Unless they will fit behind the side panels in the rear. How much room is there behind the side panels in the back? I cant check right now because im at college and its at my parents house.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

there is enough room behind the panels to mount your amps but I don't consider this a weather proof location. If your going bedliner interior maybe sensitive electronics are not the best idea for this truck.

5. SOFmech

SOFmech Registered Member

There is at least 4-5 inches between the side panels and the bed sides. The only problem is it will still be exposed to the elements. Try to do a custom console between the 2 front seats or make something work with the original. You could make a wood/fiberglass type console running from the dash to the back of the front seats. Just have to figure out something for the 4WD shift lever. Just my 2 cents.

6. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to try behind the side panels...I didnt realize it there was 4-5 inches between the side panels and bedsides. I think with the vinyl covered side panels and the amps being under the bed rails, they should be fairly protected.

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

They make amps for marine applications. More money but take water better.

8. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

The problem with waterproofing amps is that in order to seal out water, you have to seal out air, which amps dont like.

The guy who had my K5 had the amps in the side panels behind the driver seat. I dont think he had any problems with it, but he also rigged just about everything he installed into the thing (which I have since undone).

That spot might be the best for water-resistance, but to completely waterproof a place for amps would require it to be air tight and it will fry your amps.

9. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i just mean water resisitant...I'll have the top off and I just dont want rain getting in it...Honestly I wont have this thing submerged in water and all...and if its to that point, ill have other things to worry about than my cheapy amps lol

10. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

whooo hoooo paid membership!!! sorry...didnt wanna start another thread to say it lol