Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amsoil Synthetic Oil, any good?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Troopie's Tonka, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

I was approached by a salesman, and asked if I would like to sell synthetic oil for him. He explained how the stuff works. Every 12,500 miles, take off the oil filter, replace, and add a quart. every 25,000 miles, do oil change and replace oil filter. Says this stuff works awesome blah blah blah.
    1) Does this stuff really work all this great and is it worth $5 a quart?
    2) Should I buy this stuff from him?
    3) Should I sell the stuff?
    Thanks for any input. It sure would be nice to put some good oil in that lasts 25,000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't care what your oil is made of, it will be contaminated by blowby around the rings. In 25,000 miles, if you haven't changed your oil, you have done harm to your engine.
    Is it going to blow up because of the oil? No, but it also wouldn't blow up if you used dyno oil for 25k.
    All oils, no exceptions, need to be changed more frequently than 25k.
    I change mine every 3k, but I use dino and it's cheap.
    I have nothing against synthetic oils as long as you change them the same as you would dino, but I don't use them because of the cost.
    -- Mike

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. But if there's no out of pocket expence to put the oil on your shelves, I'd say go for it. If he wants bucks, tell him to leave a case at no cost to you so you can see how well it'll sell. If he won't, pass on it.

4. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

Oh, it is definately a sales pitch. $30 dollar membership fee with a starter kit, and then you pay some extra crap if you want to sell quantities or something. I'm no sucker by any means, but if this is some stuff that people want, I'd take the risk. so basically the hooly hoo's about synthetic oil is crap huh?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

See how well they'll back thier product. Tell them to suply you with a free case so you can see how well it'll sell. If they won't tell them they must not have too much faith in thier product and pass on the deal /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I know a few people locally that say Amsoil is a real good product. One guy builds motors for a living.

I havent used it myself though, so I can't speak from personal experience.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<font color="orange">Highlander</font color> sells it; send him a PM and he'll give ya more details. They also have a website, Amsoil.