Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An Alarming trend

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ntsqd, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Last weekend, for the second time this year, I witnessed a camp trailer dumping its tanks in the desert in an OHV area. Perhaps I should say soiling the desert with the contents of its Black Water tank. In both cases this was done right on the side of an access road, though in the first case I could only smell what was going on & not which of the caravan of trailers was doing the foul deed. My first thought was confrontation, but I did not trust myself to maintain my self control in such a situation. Had I been able to do so in time, I would have summoned a BLM Ranger.

Events like this make me wish for a means to gather up what they dumped and follow them home. I’d leave it on their front lawn. This is just not acceptable no matter where you are. I am outraged that someone would even consider doing this.

In the case of the second event I unfortunately had with me a person who tends to enjoy the “other sides” type of events. This did not go over well with her either and left what I am sure will be a hard to erase imprint. All of our work to show the public how most of us really care for the deserts and mountains that we ride in was quickly destroyed by this one adam-henry.

Just how stupid are some people? The mind fairly boggles at the idiocy of what this person was doing, both in terms of caring for our places to ride & explore and for the bad PR that will come from someone else happening upon such an event. To say nothing of the incredible health hazzard this creates.

I propose that a bounty be set on the people who commit this act of selfish soiling of the Deserts.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Did you have a camera? I know around here, if you can manage to snap a photo of them in action and get their license plate #, you can report them and they will get a visit from your friendly neighborhood police officer :D

Either way, I'd report it. Too many people do this kind of stuff and don't get caught. It's only going to get worse unless those of us who care enough to report them stop them.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's a pretty wide reaching phenomena. Areas get closed to ORV use, shooting, camping, whatever because of a very few individuals.

Out hunting, there is a group that left a huge pile of trash behind. (area is a mix of national forest/timber company owned land) They always camp in the same spot, so if I see it happen again, I will have their license plate number(s) and that info will go to the forest service and timber companies. Location, date, plate numbers. I figure even though they won't get in trouble for it, likely just a letter or phone call, knowing other people are watching, and won't tolerate that kind of stuff, they might just change their behavior.

Every ecosystem is different in it's vulnerabilities, ANYTHING bad/harmful done that even casts a shadow on the sports we enjoy, hurts everyone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with you whole-hearted. Isn't there a hefty fine attached to said act? this is the same A-hole who leaves his trash too! With all the fee dump stations scattered thoughout the southland, you'd think it wouldn't be going out of your way to comply. These few scumbags who ruin it for the rest of us.. The idoits act like they are never going to come back out to the desert agian....but they do every weekend!

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There were two of us in the truck the second time. We both were so shocked that neither of us thot to take a picture.
    That alone is the reason behind my post. Now you now it happens. You won't be quite as shocked as we were, and hopefully will think to take a picture.

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

There is no cause for that sort of behavior. People who do that kind of thing are the same sort who can justify cheating on their taxes then complain about the government.

One legit complaint from an RV'ers stanpoint is the lack of facilities to dump. The state continues to raise our registration fees, but cuts the services for us. And NOTHING pisses me off more then having all the hookup spots taken up by tent campers leaving no spaces large enough for an RV. Then there is no place to dump your tanks so you have haul it back home with full tanks. Let the tent folks pay $500 every two years and they can take up all the spaces they want!

7. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

That Shi* sucks, it ruins it for everyone else. I have been known to dump my fresh water tank before I leave an area though, but thats fresh water that you can drink, not sewage. Not only does it ruin things for everyone else its freakin gross...

~Brian

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What ever happened to "pack it in, pack it out"? At least in this case they could take it to a proper facility to dispose of it rather than illegally dumping it.

9. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

No kidding! But these are probably the same folks who leave the nice piles of Wallmart bags full of empty bottles and garbage for the rest of us to enjoy.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

bring a camera, take pictures!

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: I was out at an annual camp-out near Twentynine Palms this weekend. Its a Gold Claim ravine that is also a favorite shooting spot. We number about 25 guys. BLM supplies an industrial dumpster. It takes us about an hour to fill it with electronics, furniture, and this year, a motorcycle. The total fills the dumpster, usually weighs 1.5 ton of trash.:wink1:
    Anything with a name on it gets reported.:doah: