Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An almost newbish question about inboarding shocks...with a poser pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright so it's officially been decided that 4" pro-comp springs in the front and 2" aal's in back suck donkey balls for ride and flex. I'm gonna rework my suspension over the winter and run 56's with ford towers up front and 56's or 63's with inboarded shocks in back.

I know inboarding isn't the best way to do it, but I don't wanna go up through the floor just yet.

The main disadvantage I'm worried about is the loss of dampening effect because the shocks travel less compared to the axle. Could I redneck solve this by using two shocks per side in the back? Or by using one with really stiff valving? It would be pretty easy to make something up. I think I remember Brad Ausin (the blue Jeep in TTC last year) doing this. I think he was linked in back though.

Any suggestions are welcome except for telling me to run 'em up through the floor.

Here's my latest poser shot, not too bad. The pro-comps are so stiff that even without bumpstops, I couldn't force them to go inverted. It's about one or two inches vertically away from being on two wheels and yes I know the body mount pulled through.

Poser Flex.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ttt...i'm impatient

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have heard of people running two shocks each corner to solve the dimished damping problem when inboarding shocks.

Dodge pickups have their shocks inboarded from the factory. Maybe the valving on them is setup properly. You could look into longer shocks meant for a Dodge. Not sure what all years they were like this but I know they were say late 70's to Mid 80's.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

that dodge also would of had a rear swap bar on it too about 50% of the time. just run duals inboarded. do quick pins and you could take one off for slow off road flex.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i inboarded my shocks, i have no problems, i drive my truck hard around the corners to.