Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An avoidable death! (updated)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

(UPDATE)As the day has worn on we have found out some more details. It turns out that she was not hit from behind to start with it was a one car accident. she had spun out on the overpass and came to rest next to the guard rail. The rest of her story remains the same but i would like to add that we had found out the the fall was over 60 feet! Luckly she was not hit by any cars that were passing below!

A young life was taken from our family in the early hours of this morning, needlessly! I consider her young at least , 18 years old with the rest of her life a head of her, or so she thought. My cousin was on her way home this morning after attending a concert in Milwaukee last night, when she was rear ended by another driver. Nothing serious, just a little tap. As any of us would do they got out to take a look at the damage. The roads were icy and the driver from behind obesely could not stop because of the slippery conditions. This is were I start to get goose bumps....... While they were checking out the damage to the cars a truck swerved toward them out of control in the slippery conditions and my cousin had to jump out the way. Unfortunately they were on an over pass and when she jumped out of the way she fell over the side of the over pass and fell to her death. As I sit here writing this I am getting flashes of all the cars I saw in the ditches this morning and one of the accidents sticks in my mind........ I was driving home this morning through a small town just north of were I live. It was taking me longer then normal to get home because of two reasons. THE ROADS WERE ICY, and there were fire trucks and ambulances that kept coming up from behind. As I got closer the site of the wreck I see one of my good friends standing by the side of the road and see another truck wrapped around a tree in the ditch. I get that large lump in my throat and the goose bumps start. I stop to make sure he is OK, and it turns out he just witnessed the driver of the truck going way to fast for conditions and when he hit the icy bridge he lost it and kissed a tree. IM sure the S 10 was totaled, and they would be taking the driver for a little ride to the hospital via the ambulance. As I drove away I did what any one of us would probably have done, I thanked my lucky stars that it was not me or any of my family. Not more than 35 feet from the site of this accident my cell phone rings with the news that my Aunt had just been informed by the local police that her daughter had been killed in the early AM. SHOCK I was in complete shock!

I have noticed a lot of posts recently about fellow "COk5ers" getting in fend-benders and drunks rearending them. I just have to stop and think that if we all just take an extra min to think about safety that some of these tragedies could be avoided!! Why are so many us in a rush! ME included!!!! Please lets not let her death be in vain. Every time we get in our vehicles lets just take a min to think about safety and make sure we and all our loved ones are safe at the end of the day!

Bigmeats

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigmeats on 04/17/01 06:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Re: An avoidable death!

O man that really stinks! I feel truly sorry for you. People should know the conditions of the road and not go flying on them and put innocent people in serious danger! [​IMG]

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm with you. It's something we're all guilty of. It's something we all complain about. And most importantly it's something we can all do something about. Just the other night some idiot pulled up behind me revving his engine, doing brake stands, the whole show off thing. (we were at the race track) The light turned, he passed me swerving all over the place. Tailgating people. I was was gonna cause trouble but I had my kids and a friend of theirs in the blazer and I could n't keep up. Later we pulled into a convenience store and who do we see? I walked in and calmly told him( I wanted to beat him) what I'd seen and I had kids in the car and he was basically an idiot. The guy started crying!!! He apologized to me, told the kids he was sorry....... It blew me away.

Some of you know my youngest has been hit by two cars already in his young 8 years on earth, somehow he's walked away from both unscratched. But it could've been tragic. It's something I worry about everyday.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My family's prayers are with You and Your family.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Carl,
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I think it very apparent (from all the news reports about the senseless killings) that the SIDE of the road is just as dangerous as being ON the road.
    todd

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Thats too bad... I think a lot of us take life for granted...

I got in a bad accident in 87 that I should have never lived through, and it definately changed my perspetive about life. Even after something like that it's easy to have happen.

If there is anything I can do let me know... [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know that feeling of shock. A few years ago, I got the call informing me that my 16 year old niece was killed in an accident while on her way to school. Icy roads were a factor in her senseless death also.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

im very sorry for your loss.you and your family will be in my prayers.life is fragile and we should all stop and think about it.

steve

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my family and i are sorry to hear about your loss our prayers are with you and your family

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

9. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

That gives me goose bumps because I listened to that news report this morning on one of the Milwaukee stations. The question came to my mind was if it was somebody I had known... they wouldn't release the name. I'm truly sorry and I give you my condolences.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My prayers are with you right now...........that story chilled me to the bone. Almost had that happen back in PA a couple of years ago........got out to help pull some car out of a ditch and around the corner comes an idiot in a four wheel drift........right for me. Thank god he was only going about 15 mph and missed me. Hit a road sign and kept right on going.

People (and me included) are too impatient.

Sorry for your loss.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sorry for your lose also. 18 is way to young......

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I am very sorry for your loss. Some people just need to learn to be more careful. I lost a good friend a few years back when a guy came around a corner too fast and slammed into her while she was backing out of her driveway. How many more senseless deaths until people will see that they might be the next one. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

13. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

im truly sorry to hear of cussin i want you to know that you and your famly are in my prayers

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Oh God Carl I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin!
    I don't think anyone can stress enough that we all need to slow down and be more careful on the roads.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

15. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Man that is aweful I dont know what to say outher than that I am sorry.

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel (106.1 RDU)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

16. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

I live between a couple of pretty deceiving curves, and I've seen more than my share of wrecks, one woman ran off the road, had a 4 foot drop, and ended up in one of my ponds. I've had an S-10 end up on it's side in the ditch 40 feet from my house, along with numerous other "accidents". People seem to think that it's ok to drink and drive out in the country, along with driving too fast, and don't pay attention. The last time it iced over here I almost hit a mailbox, no I wasn't driving fast only about 10-15, it was on a corner and I didn't have chains. It's a lot easier to get in an "accident" when there are more people on the road.

I also have a question, how did your kid get hit twice? Once is unacceptable, but twice?

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Carl,

Sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with you and the family.

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

18. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

my condolences also... very sorry to hear this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

Bone stock '89 K5..... except for my "Colorado K5.com" sticker. This site rocks!!
    check me..... www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, sorry to hear that. As always in these cases, words cannot come close to expressing the feelings that a story like that provokes. I have two children myself and stuff like this keeps me up at nights. Anyway, I am truly sorry for your loss and for the rest of your family.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

20. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

man i know how you feal that is jsut horrible i cringe every time i read it you and your family are still in my prays

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)