Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

an email I just received re:protesters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Mar 23, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

The town I live in has a "listserve" set up for local news/government etc.. and also has a "anything goes" list. Being a Town Department Head- I have to be on these....Today, and email starting going around discussing the war, and how bad it was, and go protest etc... Tonight an email comes from a guy who doesnt live in our town, he lives in NYC, however will be moving here in a month or so. I THINK some of the "anti-war" people here in town may actually agree with this guy. If any of them actually reply- I'll post what they say.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi all. Sorry my introduction to the list is one of dissension. I don't even
    live in XXXXXX yet - but will in a month. Right now I live in
    Brooklyn from where I had a view directly from my living room of the Towers falling. I'm all in favor of peace movements, generally. But people who don't understand that there are times when war is a requirement of justice
    are, at best, delightfully childish, ignorant of a history in which
    sociopaths all-too-frequently become dangerously powerful. Viet Nam was wrong. It had been set up by the French. The North Vietnamese government was authoritarian, Marxist, but not particularly evil. They had no designs on a larger empire, merely a nationalist desire to reunite their own country.

Saddam Hussein is totally evil. Yes, Bush stole the election. Yes, American policies are muddled, inconsistent, impure. But if you can't see the difference between a blundering, mildly corrupt, occasionally stupid democracy and a fascist, murderous, satanic dictatorship you've got your contrast set wrong.

Yeah, we need regime change in America. But we'd damn well better come up with a regime that's ready to kill fascists dead. Like Woody Guthrie's guitar. How can people who are aware enough to see the dangers of fundamentalist Christians in politics be blind to the malignancy of Islamic
    fundamentalist politics? It is as bad as Nazism. There is nothing wrong with killing Nazis. It is a betrayal of life, nature, beauty, light - anything worthy of value - not to promptly eliminate any Nazis who succeed in attaining a regime with the capacity to acquire chemical, biological and/or
    nuclear weapons. And until the Left brings along politicians capable of rising to this particular challenge of leadership, our own voters will continue to deliver this country into the hands of our own fundamentalists, much as we may have cause to regret that, since they are opposed to all of
    our rights aside from that of bearing arms.

Against a Hitler or Hussein or bin Laden, you don't prevail with love alone. You prevail with love aligned with will and justice. And, frankly (and sadly) you sometimes have to kill. People who display "Free Tibet" bumper stickers should paste beside them "Free Iraq." And they should fervently
    support this war. Everything else Bush II stands for is corrupt and suspect. But this one action is enough to redeem him in history.

Sorry guys and gals. My city was attacked. And there's no chance in hell that we won't lose whole cities in the near future if we allow the fascist regimes of this world to continue into a future where the most deadly arms
    are available to any sociopath with the national wealth to buy them. We must cease to recognize non-democratic governments as having any legitimacy at all, and welcome the actions of any democracy - including our own - willing
    to bear the sacrifice to remove any one of them.

We also need to protect workers' rights, the environment, reproductive freedom ... many things our current government is at fault on. But stopping fascists trumps these all. It really does. By the time fascists succeed in nuking a few of our cities, all the rest of these fine matters are toast.
    And if you don't think that Hussein or that North Korean despot seriously threaten our cities you live in the land of Oz. When we are threatened on this level, we need to realize that we _are_ better people, and we are _morally called_ to act. All this _because_ we need, we require, peace.

Bush is not evil. Bush is a bit stupid, a bit confused, and a bit of an opportunist. Hussein is as truly evil as any Hitler or Stalin. You take fascists out. Or else you surrender to them. And surrender to them is _not_ the way of peace, not by any definition.

XXX

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandy

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So how would an "outsider" subscribe to this particular list to be able to keep an open mind and participate in this valued freedom of ours?

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Im not sure how he did it......we have a RAMP- XX Arts & Museum Project list- which this is a spin off of.....

Lemme Pm you with the email to join....all ya gotta do is send a blank email..

You'll get pretty damn bored with it though- other than this- there bitching about the school budget right now..