Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An example in pictures of "Real Time"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

An example in pictures of \"Real Time\"

This is real time... in the sense of, it "should" take this long, but actually takes that time multiplied by a large number.

For example, just over a week ago, an unexpected flat tire... so an estimated unexpected 30 minutes wasted to change out the rear tires.

Step one, take the tires and rims off.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, wait. Inner dual won't budge, not even with a hammer or pry bar. 15 minutes.

Ok, I'll go spin some circles with it in the field with the lug nuts loose. 7 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Didn't even budge.

How bout spinning the rear tires trying to go up a hill in 2wd after driving up the gravel road at 30mph and swerving intentionally side to side.? 15 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Nope.

Back down the road to base. How about pulling it off?
    [​IMG]
    Jerked it so hard the motor kept stalling out in the 1/2 ton. 17 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No sign of movement.

Finally drove down to pavement... no other traffic, swerved hard side to side on my way to a friends house to get a bigger pry bar. 7 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Finally came loose. Took the rim off, put a regular single rim on it, and called it a morning. 25 minutes.

By this time it was noon anyway, and I could finally "start" the winterization projects.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: An example in pictures of \"Real Time\"

I think there are a few leafs in that spring pack /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    should have just torched it off /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Why is it that the smallest jobs are the Fawkin hardest??? (ie. Changing the oil) The first time I changed my oil it took me 20 mins to get the damn filter off!! Thanks Jiffy Lube /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with my 88 V30 dually, it took me around an 1hour or more to pull it,.....the heat torch and a hammer finally freed it.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate doing the first oil change on a vehicle I just got--one time the drain plug was so stripped I had to tap the oilpan with a pipe thread tap and use a pipe plug(none of the oversized ones at the parts store worked--spent 15 bucks on drain plugs /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--29 cents for the 1/4 inch pipe plug /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)One time the oil pan twisted off with the nut--had to pull the motor and change the pan! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.That and changing the spark plugs--always makes me nervous,wondering how many might snap off in the head,or have boogered threads or heli-coils! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. My experience with Jiffy Lubes are like this--I changed my mothers oil in her caravan,about 3500 miles after my younger brother decided to have it done for her at Jiffy Lube after she let him borrow the van--when I went to loosen the drain plug,I felt it with my finger to estimate the size of the wrench i'd need to loosen it--and I found it was loose enough to unscrew it with my fingers! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif-I also noticed the filter was VERY loose too--I bet another 50 miles and one or the other would have fallen out while driving down the road,or at least leaked all the oil out!.I also notice on many cars at my friends shop we often find cars two or three quarts low on the dipstick--and when we tell the owners they almost always say"but we just had the oil changed last week at Jiffy Lube "or some similar "quickie lube" place.I do ALL my own oil changes--at least if I strip the drain plug,or leave it or the filter loose,I've no on to blame but myself.I hear lots of horror stories about those quickie oil change places--like when the rookie drains the differential on a FWD car and puts three more quarts of 90W in the automatic tranny--which is separate from the differential,and takes Dextron ATF--- /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with one of my dually rims when doing a brake job. Like a dummy, I put it back on when I was done. Next time I had the remove the wheel, I went through the same thing. I got smarter after that and reamed out the center of the wheel. All the other wheels came on and off fine ... it was just that one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Eric M.

7. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have seen the oil plug thing happen. was working at the towning company when we had a call to pick up a Pathfinder. I get there, and the driver said it made some funny noises and then just stopped running. Being a busy day, instead of trying to find the problem so I knew what I had to work with I just loaded it up on the flatbed and took it away. THen I noticed the puddle of oil where it was parked, and all they way up my bed. We got to the mechanics and low and behold, NO DRAIN PLUG!!! The owner had just had the oil changed and was actually on the way back from the Jify Lube place when this happened. And I always thought that this kind of thing was just an urban legend!