Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An Idea on Gas....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by senatorwoodhouse, Aug 31, 2005.

1. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Listening to the radio this morning about gas prices jumping up to $3 today, I had an idea. If I recall correctly that ~30% of the price of gas is tax. Could the government remove that tax temporally to provide relief, especially now that our main refineries are under 20' of water? I don’t know if that is feasible or not, just an idea.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

main refinaries??? we only get about 2-3 % of our fuel from them,,,there is absolutely no reason for them to raise the fuel costs due to this,,,but you know they will just as an excuse to steal more money from us. :mad:

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Bingo!!!

The US gas prices are rising yet are any other countries costs rising? Sure theirs(like Europe) were already high to begin with, but if there are shortaes, wouldn't these oil companies have to raise prices everywhere?

And has anyone else noticed the records profits these oil companies are raking in???? We're taking Billions of $$ profits per quarter!!!!!!

I dont think there is a shortage, I just think these companies are using these excuses to rake us through the coals......

But thats just my opinion....

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I read on Yahoo.com earlier that Bush gave the go-ahead to tap into the national oil reserve temporarily to keep the gas prices in check while the storm mess gets cleaned up. Hopefully that'll help a little.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I remember back during the early 90's when Iraq invaded Kuwait. I went to the lake that weekend and filled up my truck and boat. Gas had gone from 80 something cents to right at a dollar. It cost me like 30 bucks to fill up my boat and truck. I can remember everyone saying that the increase was due to Iraq's invasion. Well when all that was over did prices drop any? Notice how fuel prices NEVER have a significant drop. The oil companies have it figured out pretty well b/c they will run prices up to $3 and everyone will panic. Then they will drop prices a little to, say $2.60, and everyone will be glad that gas is "low" at $2.60, and not "high" at $3 completely forgetting where prices were to begin with. Always been strange to me that we never hear on the news about how much the price of gas has dropped.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, they did drop after that war. During the war, gas was hovering around $2 a gallon in Hawaii. When I came home 2.5 years later, gas was all of about $1, lower in places.

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

the five or six refineries in the LA, MS, AL area were shut down prior to landfall of the hurricane, so any damage would be easier to repair. much of the gulf coast in the affected zone have no power. i have been to the motiva norco site and they do not produce their own power. if the other refineries do not have onsite power plants, they cannot start production back up until they get power at the earliest. they have to repair any damage first, and second get more crude, which means the shipping channel must be free and clear of obstruction.

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I dunno where you get your info but the US gets a lot more than 2% of its fuel from the gulf coast area. There is no shortage of crude oil its a shortage of refineries that can make the fuel that is the problem. Why would US refinery damage cause prices to go up worldwide?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good luck!

Good luck getting the U.S. government to drop ANY taxes,period!--you think they will give AMERICANS a break?? HA!..but they gladly hand OUR money over to foriegners invading our country to take our jobs away!..and let them pay NO taxes for 5 years..wish we could get the same breaks! :mad:

I think this is only the beginning--we havent begun to see the total affect the hurricane will have on the entire country and economy for weeks,maybe months to come!..25% of our crude comes FROM the LA area,AND much of our IMPORTS used the harbor at Baton Rouge to unload!..It could not have picked a worse place to hit--if an enemy were to bomb the USA,I bet that part of LA would be a prime target!..

As for the record profits,SURE they have been screwing us!--always have,always will!--but they will NEED that money now, just to rebuild it to the state where we were before this disaster..so I dont think we can say they are "getting rich" anymore,now they will be forced to re-invest it into new refineries and rebuild the oil platforms..but I agree it was robbery,what we've been forced to pay for fuel,when prices in the rest of the world remain stable..its only here that prices skyrocketed!.. :mad:

I am in awe of all the devastation down there--I stayed up and watched the news the past 2 nights,and got little sleep..it seems like the armagedon is here--its only a matter of time now..Our country is going to suffer a great deal thanks to this hurricane..like our economy wasn't bad enough already..My heart goes out to the million who lost their homes,and everything else..I think the lucky ones DIED --at least they wont face the heartbreak of losing everything(and maybe loved ones).. ,and the struggle to survive..:frown1:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Westlake LA was one of the top targets the government was worried about post 9/11. When you leave Lake Charles at night and go across the bridge, it looks like another city on the other side of the bridge.... its just the refineries. Tshy lived in Westlake when we met.

11. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

That oil reserve should be IRAQ. Not our stategic reserves.

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm sure they have insurance to cover this. They might have to pay out some, but not a few billion dollars........... :o

just a thought

13. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Exactly. I think there was a post the other day about $.05 gas in Iraq the other day.

Also is it confirmed that we are constructing more refinieries around the country?

I agree. I know also we import a good deal of oil from Russia. Did any see the FX show Oil Storm? See a resemblance? :D

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nope, no refineries being built.

95% of our oil production in the gulf is shut down right now, something like 1.5 million bpd is not being pumped.

15. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

there is talk of the transfere station running dry here in town. :crazy:

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

News on the refineries -

Oil refineries still shut down

Oil refineries still shut down.

(AP) - Eight Gulf of Mexico refineries remain shut and one is
    operating
    at a reduced rate while damage from Hurricane Katrina continues to be
    assessed by oil and gas companies.

Access to some of the refineries is difficult. Conditions at those
    locations
    are as follows:

_ Baton Rouge, La. - At nearly 394,000 barrels a day, one of the gulf's
    largest refinery owned by Exxon Mobil Corp. is running at a reduced
    capacity.

_ Pascagoula, Miss. - Chevron Corp.'s 325,000 barrel a day refinery
    remains shut. The company says access to the refinery remains
    difficult.

_ Norco, La. - Valero Energy Corp.'s St. Charles refinery is not likely
    to resume its 260,000 barrel a day operations for up to two weeks.

_ Garyville, La. - Marathon Oil Corp.'s 245,000 barrel a day refinery
    remains shut. Access is limited.

_ Belle Chasse, La. - ConocoPhillips' Alliance refinery remains shut
    while the company continues to assess damage to the 255,000 barrel a day
    facility.

_ Convent, La. -- Motiva Enterprises's 255,000 barrel a day facility
    sustained minimal damage.

_ Norco, La. - Access to Motiva Enterprises's 242,000 barrel a day
    refinery is limited, so damage still is being assessed.

_ Chalmette, La. - Exxon Mobil has not been able to visit the 183,000
    barrel a day refinery, which shut down on Sunday.

_ Meraux, La. - The 125,000 barrel a day facility by Murphy Oil Corp.
    remains shut down as access remains limited.

All shut down. With the reserves open a little but and the relaxed EPA rules, the price should level off, but the refineries will take a while to come back online.

17. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

According to the CNN we get about 17% from LA, MS, and AL. 12% is just in LA.

Gas prices have jumped over a dollar more here in SC in the last two days. According to SC petrolium president we get our gas from LA and the 2 pipe lines were damaged in the storm. So we are asked to conserve, don't panic, and expect increasing prices as small gas stations will run out and not be able to get more gas. This is to be expected until LA is back up and running.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Veggie oil...

I'm not throwing out any more downed trees. I'm keeping them to burn for heat this winter.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same here!

I think I'll be burning the furniture to keep warm this winter--I'm going to start hoarding ANYTHING that will burn!..I have plenty of dead wood and trees in my yard,but I'll probably get killed cutting them down!..after this year though,its going to be beg borrow or steal whatever wood I can get--"recycling" contractors are drying up all my free pallet sources here.. :mad: :( :crazy:

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Monday night I told my wife to gas up the Mountaineer at a particular local station that had the best price for almost a week, and was still good when I went to work at 5PM. By the time she got there at 9PM, regular had gone from $2.59 to $2.64.
    At 7:20 this morning, I saw the gas station across the street from my school had regular for $2.61, so I said "F it" to being in class on-time and topped off my tank (I had just over half). Waited in line almost 10 minutes to get to the pump (they're notoriously slow at this station). Got into class and told everyone about it; almost everyone said they were going at the 8:30 break to fill up. At 8:35 the dude comes out of the station with the long pole and numbers, and bumps all the prices up 10 cents, and as each person replaced the nozzle, the prices on the pump displays changed. Lots of angry people in line...