Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An info request of the different kind. *I WANT YOUR INPUT!!!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Oct 4, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright, I just found this out tonight. There's a little tension going on over here in Bladen County. A boy I went to high school with is starting to talk about how big and bad his *FORD* is. He drives an old 70's longbed pickup. You know, it's set up like a typical mud truck: 12" suspension, 40 some inch tires, and 1/2 ton axles. He wants to hook up for $100. Here's the details about the deal though. He wants me to wait until Thanksgiving so he can convert his truck to 1 ton. He also wants to use a chain that's only 6 feet long, because his truck is taller than mine and will pick my rearend up (I thought about this after I was told he only wants to use a 6' chain and figured that's the only reason). Also, he thinks he can pull me because he has a 4 speed and I've got a slushbox. But here's my deal. No one in this county knows I'm putting 3/4 ton axles in my truck. Nor do they know that I'm putting in a 4 speed. I think I can pull him. He said if we hook and he wins (by some ungodly chance) and I don't pay, that's he's gonna kick my arse. I thought this was hilarious in itself because he's always been a scrawny young'n.

What I want to know is, what kind of technique should I use for pulling him. I had thought about using Galloway's idea and making a detachable hitch that mounts all the way up at the tranny crossmember and out the back. That way, it would be pulling from the center of my chassis and spreading the weight over all four tires evenly.

All I know is I'm not going to use a 6' chain. If we hook, it's gonna be my way, with my chain. My chain is about 12' long and the rings on it are about a 1/2" thick.

Give me some tips. Thanks in advance.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You doing this on pavement or dirt? Either way, I'd say slow and steady, don't break traction or else its all over. If he starts spinning and you haven't broken traction then you should be able to pull him pretty easily. Let alot of air out of the tires too, spread the rubber out for better grip. 4 low, 1st gear all the way... </font color>

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well you probably know this, but dont spin the tires, let him take up the slack then slowly apply power and with any luck he'll start to spin, once he spins , drag him wherever you want too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hooked up my old 72 with a 292 to a guy with a Furd one ton and a 460, he was so cocky about it, he wanted to bet 50 bucks,"make it a hundred" , he took up the slack, and when he just about had it all out i giver a jerk and his tires broke loose he was mine, he was being awful quiet when he lost, and had a new respect for the old sixes /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I would almost want to say keep the auto for the pull. They allow you to take off really easy and keep traction (apply brake and gas at once /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure you have a nice cash reserve in the bank to pay for broken parts. Chaining up back-to-back is very hard on the driveline. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm with Kenny on this one...keep the slush box til you've pulled his truck around town.

Rene

7. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa. Sounds like fun, closest I've come to that is stump pulling. I don't know crap about it, but this is what I'd consider:

1. heavier truck should have the advantage. can you load up your bed or is that cheating? Spare tire filled with cement? how bad do you want to win? "but I always drive around with the back full of sand bags, and yes that telephone pole was always my front tube bumper!" At least a full tank of gas, etc.

2. whoever has the better tire for the pulling surface will have an advantage. dirt, gravel, asphalt, whats it gonna be?

3. another vote for keeping the auto for the pull

4. like you said, don't let the chain go up to his truck, it'll take weight off your tires and put it on his. Use the longest chain you can get, just make sure its strong enough. Your idea of hooking to the middle of your truck is intresting. But if you go out the back, even though you may distribute the load across more of your frame (a good thing), the net effect will be the same as a regular hitch located at the same place that you go out the back. For what your thinking to work you'd have to hook up inside the truck so the chain can go straight from your hook point to his. Whatever you do, man it'll have to be strong or someones gonna get hurt!

Try searching for some truck/tractor pulling sites, if they even have any, you might get some ideas.

Oh yea, grease up the ujoints, top off the fluids and be prepared to buy some new parts. Good Luck.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I agree with Jimmy88. The biggest advantage you can make up is the weight factor. Being in a blazer you already have a weight advantage compared to an empty truck bed. Your rear tires will have more force pushing them into the ground than he would.

Make sure the hard top is on and you have as much weight you can get away with. If you can't beat him with technique and power you can get him with traction or at the very least make it a heavier load for him to pull around if you lose. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Two options come to mind...Build a baddass back bumper, let up all the slack on the chain and punch it, ripping his bemper off....or pull on him a couple minutes, then through it into reverse and let him slam into a tree or a parked car. Then pay him the 100 bux.

10. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    pull on him a couple minutes, then through it into reverse and let him slam into a tree or a parked car. Then pay him the 100 bux.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah yeah... do that!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to post your results!

12. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

AND pictures!!!!!!

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

dont do it on pavement or someone will be buying new parts do it in the dirt mud or gravle. have someone take pics and post them here after your done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh and a good safty thing tie something to the chain like a coat or blanket or something so if it breakes it dont hurt anyone /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

I thought of another trick I could use. Instead of hooking with my 40's, just drop down to a really wide 33" all terrain or smaller tire. That would effectively bring my torque numbers up and would make for some hell dragging ability. Let's see, 4.56's with either the 6.55 1st gear ratio if the 465, or the pretty much unlimited ratio of the 700, and 33's, I think I could take him. This is gonna be fun /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Oh yes, pics will be taken and safety is gonna be on the top of my list. All I know is, I'm not hooking to him on pavement.

15. mudhog

very cool keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I would turn you reciver hitch over and remove the ball and put on a large shackle. that should give you at least 1 foot, depending on what drop you are using(6"?) . From all I have heard the auto should give you an advantage. I would also get the 3/4 ton stuff. I would also add the weight.

Are you still going to anderson next weekend? I have been working on my truck non-stop to get ready /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Marc

17. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Most of all be very careful with chains in this type of contest. Knowing people who have been hurt by chains as bystanders and windows broken from a snapping chain be very careful! Lastly have fun! As meantioned be patient and wait till he breaks loose. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. mudhog

thats why i said to tie a coat or something around it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Build a baddass back bumper, let up all the slack on the chain and punch it, ripping his bemper off..

[/ QUOTE ] Now this sound like the key.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifAnd get all the hot chicks you can to ride in your K5. Tell them you want to have all of them in the truck when your pulling that <font color="green"> f**d </font color> around town /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

What's going on in Anderson next weekend? yield2me was trying to tell me but he up and left for Tellico. If it involves destroying my 10 bolt i'm there. I had planned on going but I have no idea what it is.