Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An Obscure Exhaust Question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Aug 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, fall is here and the winter modifying will soon begin. I'm gonna taper/narrow the rear of the pumpkin as soon as I get a chance. I'm also going to rework the exhaust since my crossover pipe is a temporary hack job and the rest of it is falling apart. I'm going to run either a single or dual exit (haven't decided yet) coming out of the body at the location circled below. The pipe(s) will have to go between the inner and outer fender in the back, which I can cut to make fit...but I don't know how to mount it when it gets up into the body.

I can't leave it loose because it'll vibrate and hit the body, and I can't use a traditional hanger because it won't really be hanging...I was thinking about solid mounting the tip with a flange like this one , but I'd probably break the welds on the rest of the system by doing that. Solid mounting the whole works and using braided flex hoses off the manifolds is starting to look like my best option. Just wondering if anybody has a better idea other than cutting a humongous hole in the body....if ya do, I'd really appreciate the help.

Picture 014.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

to make things easy, i would have them come out right infront of the rear tires at a swept back angle. If you can fit converters and mufflers (if you need them) that would look sweet to have it come out there. you wouldnt have really any clearance issues. just draw a line from your back tire to the rear bottom corner of your door. it would fit perfect and be a lot less work.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

God, any closer to where you sit and you may as well route it through the dash and into your lap...:eek1:

I'd seriously re-consider your options.

Rene

4. mikey_d05

Ok, I've realized this is a flat out dumb idea...it won't be going there but I'd like to keep the tip up high...like higher than the floorboard...anybody have any good ideas?

EDIT: I don't know what I was smoking, please let this thread die and may god have mercy on my soul.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

seems to me the hard part would be getting the exhaust up there. would you go over the frame, under the frame or through the frame?

ryan

6. tRustyK5

This is how i ran mine...

Soory the pic is a bit blurry, but it shows you just the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it's outboard the frame you can get it right under the floor which is pretty high up compared to normal routing...

I have yet to hit, maul or maim my tailpipe with it there.

Rene

7. mikey_d05

Thanks Rene, I can always count on you to make a helpful suggestion when I think up something totally off the wall. :D

8. tRustyK5

Just didn't want to see you die from exhaust fumes while wheeling! :doah:

Note that my tailpipe goes through the area the stock shocks used to go, in case yours still do.

Rene

9. mikey_d05

Right now there aren't any shocks in the back but I'm gonna build an inboard style setup before the exhaust gets done so I don't see it being a problem. Once again, thanks for your help, sometimes I just need someone to tell me it's a bad idea.

10. tRustyK5

We all need that now and then...myself included! :crazy:

Rene

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You got me thinking about running it into the cab, well into the cargo area you would have to build a double wall type guard to keep it from burning stuff but it would get up pretty high then just exit out the opposite side that the fuel filler is on. Even though I suggest this I think it is to much work for too little effect