Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An opinion on the new Army uniform??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baldamish, Jun 21, 2005.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

http://www.ngb.army.mil/news/2004/06/newacu.wmv

I myself am kinda looking forward to it, however the basic traniee not having to shine his boots kinda takes some of the fun out of the experience, but the wrinkle free sounds good to me.....but velcro? So much for noise discipline!!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Looks like a pile of pajamas................. :dunno:

They are ugly, too futuristic looking for my tastes. I really liked the woodland, they could hide ya better in the jungle than this crap coming out; of course, I really liked the old uniforms. I thought it would have been cool if they had kept the khaki Class B? uniform, those things were sharp and for garrison duty, the old OD BDU's looked real nice.................

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, it's just like the "new" USMC cammies - the Velcro is only on the chest pockets, which will be just-about-inaccessible under the Interceptor vest when you're tactical. All the other pockets are still the covered-button type. That's what I read somewhere, anyway...

As far as the whole package goes - I don't see how one pattern and color is good for wooded areas and desert areas. But hey, I'm just a former jarhead helicopter guy... what do I know about a gray-green item not blending into a sea of tan??
    I'm sure the Army DI's will find something constructive for the boots to do in the time usually spent polishing boots (the footwear-type); the Marine DI's apparently did.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

They beat the heck out of those ugly blue uniforms the Air Force was looking testing not too long ago... :xmas:

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes they did! :D
    The uniforms look good but ours are better! :grin:

6. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I think the Air Force's idea was to throw out the "don't ask Don't tell" idea with thier...um.......gay blue uniform! According to the video jarhead, there are no buttons on the uniform except for the fly, unless you were talking about the usmc's new uni, and that i don't know about. From what i read though, the pixelated (is that a word?) cammie design is suppost to be pretty superior to the old woodland. A former Marine friend of mine said his brother-in-law has the new pixelated (still don't think it's a word) and he said that he almost dissappeared in the woods with the new uni! Eh, who cares as long as they gimmie my first few for free, because they are a bit more expensive.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The new USMC cammies only have Velcro on the chest pockets - I know this as fact; I've got one set of each still hanging in my closet. The most recent online article I read about the new Army Combat Uniform said the chest pockets were Velcro, and the rest buttoned the old familiar way. This was also told to me by a guy I'm in school with now, who had 2 sets of the final prototype ACU's issued to him to evaluate while he was in the sandbox. Don't know where the disparity is coming from... :confused: :confused:
    **EDIT** OK, guess I shoulda watched the video the first time around... Seems to be Velcro everywhere but the fly and the front of the blouse.

I like a couple of the features the ACU has, like the forearm pen slots and the built-in IR glint tape. I also think they should stick with the cover shown in the video, and dump the fruity French beret in the dumpster. Let the folks who earned it (SF and Rangers IIRC) still have it, but for the rest... uhh, hello, it's the UNITED STATES Army, not the French Army!
    The digital pattern kicks the crap out of the old woodland pattern when it comes to camouflage - you wouldn't think a bunch of straight lines would do much for you in the bush, but it somehow "tricks" the brain. When we'd fly over grunts in the field at a hundred feet or so, we could pretty reliably pick out individual Marines in the woodland cammies. Once the digital cammies started getting common among the grunts, it got a lot harder to pick them out. I imagine it's even worse (better) on the ground...

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep the new digi cammies are far superior to the old-school pattern. I've seen a demostration using micro-terrain to see which uniform is better and the digi's kicked ass!

9. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Holy crap, don't even get me started on the beret! What a piece of crap, let's look at this, in the middle of the summer let's put some black wool on top of our heads (where most of the body heat escapes from). Oh, and let's be sure that you need two hands to put on a hat, so when you are leaving the px with your hands full, you have to drop everything you have to put the d@mned thing on, that's the only nice thing about being deployed....no berets, I wish they'd just allow everyone to wear the boonie caps, cumfy and just makes sense, no more sunburn on the nose or ears!!