Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

An update on a little progress

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Had to be at home yesterday while the air conditioning was being worked on. Guys seemed very trustworthy so off to the barn I went. I got the heads back from the machine shop about 5 weeks ago and got them painted about 4 weeks ago. Have had very little free time. Last week I got the block surface all cleaned up and cleaned the tops of the pistons.

Yesterday with the aid of my engine hoist I was able to get the heads back on the engine. A bear to do alone but the engine hoist definitely helped. Ended up with a couple scratches on the firewall but afraid that just couldn't be avoided. My clearance is just so terrible!

Later that evening I escaped to the barn again and got all of the bolts placed in the passenger side head and they are ready to be torqued down.

Started putting the driver side head bolts in and unfortunately find that I can't get the rear most head bolt in. It is hitting the cab in a big way. When I pulled the head, that bolt must have been still in the head. I don't think I can pull the head very easily and reinstall it with the bolt in that hole.

After alot of thought last night, I have decided I will drill a hole through the cab to make an access hole to install that bolt and torque it. That area is parallel to the side of the engine and with the valve cover installed no one will ever see the hole. I will get a black rubber plug to cover the hole. Hate to do it this way but the only other option is to raise the cab from the frame about 3-4 inches to get that bolt installed.

Torquing that bolt will be so much easier this way.

Hopefully I will have a good post in a few days saying I have the motor fired up. This 454 better be worth all the problems it has caused! :rolleyes:

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

glad to see you're making some progress

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YJ ~ Thanks for the update. Don't get discouraged (sp?) on me now. :D The bolt hole seams like a good idea as long as you can access it from the inside.
    Trust me your gonna love the 454. It will make that truck of yours move like a bat-outaa-hell with lilttle effort. I have never had a 454 before and WOW now that I do, there is no other engine I need. Is truly an awesome engine :bow:
    Keep it positive and keep us posted :D
    Burt

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

See Burt, I told you you'd love that BB :D . YJ just keep chipping away at it, you'll "gitter done" soon enough. I know what you mean about those heads. I remember when I used to pull them and put them back on in the vehicle by myself. Now that's just a faded memory :o . (At least it's not a old Chrysler Hemi. They weighed over 100lbs ea. :eek1: )

5. Yukon Jack

Got the hole drilled last night. It is pretty much invisible from the front of the engine compartment. Won't be noticeable at all when the valve covers are on. Bolt dropped right in and can now easily use an extension to tighten the bolt. So much easier than unbolting and raising the body. Hopefully get the head bolts torqued tonight or in the next few days. :laugh:

6. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good to hear it's going back together, I was wondering what was happening with the silver beast just the other day.

You'll be all smiles soon enough.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Are you still working on that thing...LOL :laugh:

I know the feeling, I get home and my 3 kids just want there dad to play with them...I got as much work done on the K5 before the boy was born and thats where I left off. Its in the shop right now having the 700r installed and I just might have them install the 14 bolt too.... :eek1:

Keep adding bolts to that truck and one day it will take you to the dirt... :wink1:

8. Yukon Jack

Yep, still plugging away. Got basically nothing done over the summer. It will be 3 years this October since I started tearing it apart for the simple bb swap :eek1: Then came the, hmm, let's fix this rust and that rust, hmmm, better paint, etc. And I'm the guy who said I would never take my truck apart :haha:

9. Yukon Jack

Got the heads torqued down Sunday and last night I got the rockers arms installed and the valve lash set. Hopefully tonight I will get the headers back on and get ready to reinstall the intake. Getting closer.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool man!
    Keep On Truckin :D

11. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I hear ya YJ...I told myself as soon as I get the engine in, that'll be it for a while. Yeah right! :haha: I've got a list a mile long with upgrades! Chromoly axles, new gears, rear locker, new lift, new shocks, custom bumpers, winch...and on and on :rolleyes:
    Glad to see you're making progress! :waytogo: