Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Analog on a HDTV

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uberbeans, Feb 8, 2007.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I am about to buy an HDTV. Do analog channels watched on a HDTV look better than on a regular SDTV?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not much. once in a while they can look grainy and worse. though that is usually the low level channels, stuff like public access and local stations. Get digital cable, its definetally worth it. Whenever I watch the Plasma I always watch the digital channels, they just look so much better.

3. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

It's also dependent on the size of the TV. Analog looks just fine on our 32" HDTV but horrible on our 61".

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I want it but I can only get about 15 channels here in HD the rest are all SD. I am thinking I should wait until there are more HD than SD.

Is satilite different?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't know, we have digital cable. There aren't so many HD channels, not certain of the real number. I usually only watch the networks in HD, so I don't care. I love Heroes, that show is awesome in HD on the 42" plasma :)

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Sled is right, you will notice a massive diffrence going to digital. Problem is unless you set the t.v not to stretch the picture you will get extra wide people and objects. Only way around that is to get HD television. We offer 15 full time HD channels right now and they seem to satisfy most. All the prime time and sporting events are always broadcasted.

Problem with getting more HD channels is you always will need analog for those old people or people in the sticks where the distribution can't handle the bandwidth. As well as you have Internet and most providers have a digital phone signal. These all take up a freq. on the channel band and you are only alotted so many frequencies by law. You can cram about 5 or 6 digital channels on one analog freq. but only 2 HD channels. So to get more you have to get rid of certain analog channels.

Gee do I work for a cable company? :doah: