Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Analyze my bearing

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Jul 5, 2005.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Obviously im doing the rear main, and this is how this bearing looks. Rod bearing on #8 was a bit scored, along with the crank when i replaced it ~15K miles ago. This one isnt really scored, and the crank looks great. Does this just look like cavitation or oil starvation, or is this just what 250K mile bearings look like. Im going to just put it back together and run it reguardless, just wondering what the experts think of that spot on the bearing.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I see very light circumferential grooves over the whole bearing surface. In my reciprocating engines class in school, they taught us that markings like this are from minute dirt and metal particles in the oil, and are pretty normal for a bearing with a lot of time on it.

Now that wear spot along the inboard end of the bearing (the "bottom" of the bearing as you've pictured it) is another story. Again, as I was taught it's pretty common on high-time bearings, in areas where local loads are high. Normal on high-time bearings, but not too good either. If I've got myself oriented correctly with your picture, that's the rearmost crank bearing cap, so the rear cylinders are pushing the crank down into that bearing on the power stroke - mostly in that worn spot. It almost appears the base metal is showing through the babbitt coating.

If you really want to know, get some Plastigage. Put a piece in the "good" area of the bearing, and another piece in the suspect area. Do the usual Plastigage routine and see how much wear is really there.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is the rear main bearing.

High load is pretty much what i assumed was the reason for the wear, or less oil getting to that 1/2 of the bearing, causing local heat and expansion. It just seemed odd to only be in that one spot, and with no visible damage to the crank.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

That is the purpose of the bearing in the first place. To take all the wear and tear, being cheaper and easier to replace during rebuild than the hard parts. I'd say if there is no noticeable wear on the crank the bearing did it's job well.