Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anayone know how to get mileage out of a vortec 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 2000 chevrolet crew cab short box 4x4 with 3:73 gears and a 4L80. I just recently bought it and I am dissapointed in the fuel mileage that this thing gets. Pulling a car trailer with a automobile loaded it gets 10 MPG gallon at 67 mph. Just driving this thing around, (Easy on the accelerator), it gets 14mpg! I dont know if I'm to fussy but my old 1997 half ton 4x4 with same engine and gears got 14mpg pulling and 18mph crusing down the interstate at 80 mph. I know that the 3/4 ton chevy has more of a transmission in it than my wimpy half ton, but I have been not able to justify the bigger truck because it sucks gas! Does anayone know what I can do to get better gas mileage,( LIke a chip or better exhaust)your input would be appreciated! Thanks, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Was your old 1/2 ton a 4x4? If not that will explain why you got better mileage in that. The newer trucks cant disengage the front axles so they are always spinning when going down the road. Also the 3/4 ton Crewcab is a bigger and heavier truck.

3. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I can give you a tip for a little better mileage.....Take you 2 magnets and put over your fuel line, I have mine on right before the carb.But does'nt matter where you put them just as lone as you have them so they are pulling to each other and the fuel line is in between them. It really works!I can tell when mine fall off everytime! I have'nt yet come up with a permanet mount for them yet,mine's on with tape but zip ties would work also.What it does is as the fuel passes in between the magnets, The magnets pulling towards each other make a "magnetic field" and the hydrocarbons "bond" together resulting in cleaner emissions,more power, and better fuel mileage. It works on all engines, gas,diesel,etc.I took a speaker apart and split the magnets, use strong ones so they will create the field. I'm not kidding y'all this really works. try it and see. Conoverbandit

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I can give you a tip for a little better mileage.....Take you 2 magnets and put over your fuel line, I have mine on right before the carb.But does'nt matter where you put them just as lone as you have them so they are pulling to each other and the fuel line is in between them. It really works!I can tell when mine fall off everytime! I have'nt yet come up with a permanet mount for them yet,mine's on with tape but zip ties would work also.What it does is as the fuel passes in between the magnets, The magnets pulling towards each other make a "magnetic field" and the hydrocarbons "bond" together resulting in cleaner emissions,more power, and better fuel mileage. It works on all engines, gas,diesel,etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Please dont believe everything you read. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Maybe you could try a few things like a better flowing intake system or exaust system.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can give you a tip for a little better mileage.....Take you 2 magnets and put over your fuel line, I have mine on right before the carb.But does'nt matter where you put them just as lone as you have them so they are pulling to each other and the fuel line is in between them. It really works!I can tell when mine fall off everytime! I have'nt yet come up with a permanet mount for them yet,mine's on with tape but zip ties would work also.What it does is as the fuel passes in between the magnets, The magnets pulling towards each other make a "magnetic field" and the hydrocarbons "bond" together resulting in cleaner emissions,more power, and better fuel mileage. It works on all engines, gas,diesel,etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I think JC Whitney has a kit you can do that with in sparkly chrome. They probably even have a chrome one with lights (L.E.D.) and everystuff.

John

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you could mount a big magnet on the bumper and drive behind big trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

GOOD IDEA! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey I saw those magnet thingys advertized in JC whitney. The ad was right next to that Tornado thingy. Both claimed something like 20% better milage. Hmm If I put enough of those doo dads on I may never have to fill up again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But to help out your Vortec I would do better Exhaust like a Flowmaster Force 2 system. And put on a K&amp;N or similar cold air intake system. I dont think a chip will help improve gas milage.
    Hypertech makes a programer which plugs into the OBD2 port that allows you to change the computers settings and gain more torque on the bottom end. That may help a little also.
    It might not hurt to throw a scanner on it and check for problems There may be something wrong. You should be getting better milage than you are.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

LMAO....so that how the magnet thing work... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I think i'm going to try the magnet thing..............put a huge sucker on my front bumper to get pulled behind trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Seriously, I've been looking at a Banks exhaust set up. Anyone out there try one of these larger exhaust? We'll go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

high lift cam will give you better milage and a little more power also

12. st08x

st08x Registered Member

Seriously, anyone else tried the magnet thing? does it really work? i want to try that but it seems to simple. no way u can get better mileage and power THAT easy. does anyone else know if it really works or is it just some myth?

My K-5

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe it needs a tune up? My trucks mileage improved when i opened the spark plug gap up by about .010...i think Vortec's are set at .060...maybe set it to .065 or .070 and see what happens