Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

And I thought going 1 ton was gonna be a good thing....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 16, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey... I am planning to buy a set of 1 ton axles from MrChevy4x4 from the auction he won... however at this point, I'm thinking how is this going to work? There is no way.... I can't fit them in my Blazer because of the way I have crap mounted back there in the rear. I can't lift them on my own inside to begin with, then to get them out, I sure can't do it then.... I have no clue how to rebuild these suckers, or even how to install them. Even if I got a manual I'm sure I don't have the right tools like seal pullers and so on... oh yeah it gets better I can't weld and was hoping to put rear disc's on. So um, in this area (Sacramento) where's a good place to get this done? I need to price around to see if I can afford to do this. I'm stressed and am wanting to do this but being realistic I probably can't unless I am willing to spend a ton... which I suppose I would. The inital cost of the axles won't be bad cuz I am gonna go on and sell another set of 3/4 ton I bought from Matt... but how much am I seriously looking for those who have done this to get them rebuilt and installed? Thanks.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

(PS any of you willing to help me out here let me know what you charge and where you are... thanks)

2. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

i will help you do it. i live in escalon. maybe 200 bucks and i will do the swap. you buy the parts.

jeff

3. ChevyCaGal

I'm willing to help to learn... I don't wanna sit like a bump on a log... so if you do it you'd have to put up with me "helping".... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

that is not a problem. i have all the tools it would just be a matter of parts. i dont mind helping out fellow wheelers and teaching people. if you decide to do it let me know

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A {Coach} is always Nice! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. ChevyCaGal

Yes they are, since I have jack notta idea of how to do it... just have to figure out how I will get them into my truck... that in itself should be interesting to watch... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I want pictures of this.. I want to see a picture of Steph covered in gear oil under her K5...lol

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My friend and I just did this. The swap is pretty easy ... really. Easire than rebuilding the motor... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The rebuilds, I haven't done, but he has.

Good luck.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Most of the disc brake kits Iv seen for the 14 bolt are bolt on,does that make it any better /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

If your interior isnt cherry,ya could fit them in the back of yer K5.Iv done it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I rented one of those towable cherry pickers to get them in and out of the back.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I want pics too....A women covered in oil next to her truck??? WoooHoo!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Joe you just want to see a women covered in oil..You don't care if it is next to a truck or not...LOL /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Steph,

I could go through them and replace seals and what ever else needed to be done, and put the disc brakes on the rear also. I would need a deposit so that I wouldn't get stuck with the extra investment. Not that I think you would do something like that, but it is just a good business practice. It would be a couple of weeks before I could do anything though. Let me know.

Mike

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm with Joe, but I want the K5 included for "mandatory K5 content" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. ChevyCaGal

My insides OF THE BLAZER are not cherry, unless you want to call it a squished cherry... I have what appears to be an icee from 7-11 dried on my back left inside fender... looks like snot though cuz it's shinny... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I made a box (for tools and basically crap)... and I bolted it down in the back, then my speaker box and amp are bolted to it. So I'll have to move all that stuff around to fit axles. Actually I think I will be renting a trailer and using that. About time I used my tow hitch for something other then my Wal-Mart hitch-n-haul... oh and trust me I will take pics. But If you plan to drool, you'll be sadly disappointed... model I am not... well, yeah, the what not to do model... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif But on a serious note my issue is just knowing wtf I am doing... I can do it I think... but I might be old enough to go to Denny's for dinner at 4pm by the time I get there! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

That sounds like a plan Mike... that'd help me a lot... I'll email ya on that... I want to help with the install when it gets here and I do that, and I will learn as a go how this sucker works with routine maintenance... I just don't wanna start my first big thing doing this, the rebuilding... crap I barely mastered the tune up (I know sad but a big deal to me)...

16. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I know this is a little off subgject but whatcha doing with the 10 bolt at Mike's? You selling it obviusly, how much? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. ChevyCaGal

Yeah I have to get ahold of him.... I'm gonna sell the set for $1200... not gonna split them up...

30 spline 10b front, ARB in it (no hubs, but I think I have a set I can throw in somewhere around here)...
    14b sf rear, detriot and disc brakes...
    Both have 4.10 gears, 6 lug, new joints

I need to ask Mike what else Matt left there that's included... I believe the 10b shafts are new and there new brake lines and there's an new e-brake cable there too... but like I said I need to get ahold of Mike.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My insides are not cherry, unless you want to call it a squished cherry

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BRB,

Don't go there......!

LOL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So what is happening with these axles anyway mike?