Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

and now pics from Sunday

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

http://community.webshots.com/album/125433346VgbVjD

I found out that going from open 4.10 gears to 4.56's and a Detroit locker actually made me lose power turning 39.5's in 2wd through the big puddle. And I couldn'y throw big rooster tails anymore. Oh well, it was still fun.

Plus, seemed like as soon as our group showed up and I started driving through the puddle, everyone on the ORV park started to come over. (Probably the opened up header dumps caught their ear).

I broke my steering trying to go up a hill in 2wd, when the tire caught the right bank and ripped the rag joint at the steering box (right after the battery flew out of it's bungee cords and out of the tray). I fixed it though, while parked 3/4 way up the hill and about as flexed as the thing could get.

Other breakage included: A blown 14 Bolt Gov-Loc in a friends K5, and a 350 in a shortbed that just lost all power and started smoking.

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

That's a bummer. I can't get to the community pages. My job has a firewall up that prohibits that kind of stuff.

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

(right after the battery flew out of it's bungee cords and out of the tray).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to rag on you, but why bungee the battery down? I had a buddy that did that to a 64 Chevy PU that the bungee came undone around a corner. What a friggen mess! The battery fell into the solid fan and shredded it before he could pull over. Acid was thrown everywhere under the hood. Dang near needed a haz mat suit to clean it up.

Even the auto zone / checker battery hold downs are less than $20. I know I wouldn't want a 20 pound wrecking ball loose under my hood. It aint worth the mess.

Cool Pics though. Need to find some mud to run around here....

4. mountainexplorer

Yeah, I'm one of those people thats "knows better" but doesnt "do" better.

I've lost several batteries cause I didn't do what I was supposed to and get the right hold down. I'm always playing musical batteries too, so sometimes I just never even bother. This battery came out of my Utility truck which came out of a Buick before that. Who knows where it will end up by the end of the year.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man you're like my NTB Uncle Joe, but you actually do things with all the junk you buy

HIJACK - Think a ratchet strap would hold a battery down? They seem to be holding my gas tank down..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (going to make something better soon, don't worry)

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Cool pics, I like the sequence of the guy jumping his truck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can get battery hold downs in the HELP! section at the auto parts store for about $3. At the dealer, they retail for $2.50 or so.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get battery hold downs in the HELP! section at the auto parts store for about $3. At the dealer, they retail for $2.50 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones I have only take about 30 seconds to take them off, so there fast if you change the batteries around a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Battery hold down...that reminds me I still havent bought any /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif...3 years with no trouble yet tho, mine are prolly closer to 25-30 lbs, their Big Mothers, our Combine gets new batterys every year, I pull them off there, throw them in my truck, and the ones that have been in my truck go to tractors, or other vehicles.

10. mountainexplorer

One of these days I might actually tighten down my battery cable connections too. Usually right after I do, I need to pull the battery.

With anything I do, the minute I do it proper, it always has to come apart again. Like putting coolant in rigs. Every time I put proper antifreeze in a vehicle, either I end up pulling the motor or the radiator soon after. If I put straight water in something, cause I think something will happen and I'll lose the antifreeze anyway, nothing goes wrong and I end up adding antifreeze at the last minute when cold weather strikes.