Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

...and pop goez the fuzez!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supaiforget, Nov 26, 2004.

1. supaiforget

supaiforget Guest

well, here goes...had problems with my 87 k5 and the taillight, courtesy, instrument panel, brake, and turn signal lights. After blowing the 3 lighting fuses SEVERAL times and not finding any crosses, I figured it was probably turn signal switch. Swapped out the old (really poor condition, degraded, some wires were 'welded' together (melted to one another unnaturally), and everything was fine. Went hauling around yesterday (about 4 or 5 hours after everything was pieced together) and wouldn't ya know it, the taillight/courtesy went out (no gauge lights or taillights and getting dark /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). Changed fuse, popped again, changed a 3rd time, was fine. Now today, I made a left turn and bam...blew 2 out of the 3 fuses that i was blowing b4 replacing the switch (turn signal circuit still works fine). What could be the culprit? I lose taillights, brakelights, gauge lights, and hazards when it happens, and it typically happens when 'hammerin' it (mash the gas to make the pass /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ), not limited to turning, all around condition. only thing i could think of would be if headlight dimmer switch bad (4 headlight system, still work fine, never blow fuses on circuits when flickin brights on and off). any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Look in the back, behind your license plate. You will see a single wire that has a plug on it. I was having the exact same problem, and my problem was that this little plub had come appart and was arcing on the gas tank skind plate. I dont know what the plug does, but after i put it back together and taped it up, i yet to have any problems.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

A bad cigarette lighter will blow fuses like that. Replace it and see /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

(Best Monty Burns voice) Yes, the infamous cigarette lighter, Yes, excellent. Every time I look at my cig lighter funny that fawkin thing blows a fuse. I bought a new one now I just have to figure out how to get the old one out before a get mad and rip it out.

5. supaiforget

supaiforget Guest

well, sorry for not having gotten back to everyone about what's been going on with my K5. I checked the plug behind the plate (also have trailer wiring back there) checked it all out...all connections clean and strong. Going to hopefully put a new cig lighter in sometime tonight (thanx for the suggestion btw...that possibility was massively overlooked) I'll keep all of you posted on what's going on!! And away I go....!