Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AND SO IT BEGINS!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well after way to long I have finally sold one of my vehicles and I have about 5 grand to get started on my 1 ton diesel blazer project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm thinking I'll try to find a rust free blazer for sale (hopefully for 2 grand or less) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, re-gear my 14bff and lock it, buy a D60 throw a posi in it, and give it an echobit or springer lift. Now hopefully I'll be able to afford all this with my new found cash. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Then when I sell my car I'll order the 6.5LTD and get it installed.

I was just curious how much I should expect to pay to have a D60 and a 14bff re-geared to 4.56 with a detroit in the back and LSD in the front?
    And those of you running those flexier lifts, do you worry about axlewrap at all or has it not been a problem? I need to figure out whether or no I have to factor in an anti-wrap bar into my lift expense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

make sure you put some $$ into keeping it rust free...maybe dip it in POR 15 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If you want 4.56's look for a set of axles out of a military truck (M1008) They had dana 60 front with a 14 bolt rear with 4.56's and a detroit in the rear. An average price for a set of these is about 1200 to 1400 for the set give or take a little on where in the country you live.

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmmm, might be a little hard to find those military axles up here in Canada.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    hmmm, might be a little hard to find those military axles up here in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you under house arrest? Barred from entering the U.S.A.?/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If not then arrange to pick them up from the closest possible shipping hub or whatever. Re-gearing and stuff gets spendy pretty fast...

I found a matched set of one ton diff's through a member here. 4.56's, rear detroit, under 35,000 miles on the axles, brand new brakes, locking hubs, and I even got the elusive spring plates thrown in for $1800. Not bargain basement price but well worth it because the gearing and detroit was what I wanted anyways. I picked them up in Tacoma and brought them back home myself.

Forward air has a terminal in Seattle...

Soft suspension means axle wrap, no question.

Put up some detailed want ads in the parts wanted forum and the Pacific Northwest club forum. Donimator hooked me up with the guy he got his diff's from. I was quite happy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm some good advice. I actually think I just read a post about someone buying a m1008 or something. Worth a try.

And so your saying that I should be factoring in the antiwrap bar into my lift cost?

7. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

hey max hows it goin, just read your first post, if you already have the 14 bolt and d 60 re gearing them is cheap, all you need is the gears and we can do that up at the track for ya for a good deal, really nuthin much too it. let me know what you got in mind for your rig and i will give you a hand in picken out some cool pieces. i just fabed up some cool front spring perch drop mounts that give you 4 inches lift, and help correct the front driveline angle problem. give me a shout on my cell, 490-7606 and we will figure somethin out

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey right on vince, good to hear from ya. I'll definitly give you a shout /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif