Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

...and then, the windsheild popped out...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Feb 8, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The wife and i just went to the grocery store. The big wheelin trip for the day. 4xing through the massive potholes and then.... I heard a pop and a thud on every pothole we hit. Trying to find the noise while driving, and then... The windsheild moved!! freak me out!! It seems the whole bottom and 1 side Of the wifes S-10 windsheild unglued!!

How do i fix that, In the cold, with no garage!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

did you replace the windshield lately? if so make them fix it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. bablazer73

No, I have had the truck 1 1/2 years. Must have been replaced at sometime though. Never seen factory seal break. Just poorly installed replacments.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if it was me i would take it to a place and get it fixed and turn it into the insurance.... if it was me

5. bablazer73

No glass coverage, No collision either. Just looking for a cheap fix. If there is one!!

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What about that windsheild glue you can buy at the auto parts store? I had a massive leak in my S-10 that would come through the seal and I used this clear glue stuff and it worked. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. bablazer73

I Might try that, But i was just worried about it being cold up here. Might get to 36 today, but rest of week is lookin at mid 20's. The glue won't dry, if it's frozen!! I just painted the floors inside my 76 and it took 3 days for the paint to dry. And thats with an electric space heater running inside the truck for 14 hrs of the day!!

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3M makes a product called "Super Fast Window Urathane"...
    It's the glue for windshields...

Remove the moldings and re-urathane... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Windsheilds are glued in with urethane that will only stick to glass if it is cleaned and primed with special primer. You might be able to shoot some urethane down along the cowl from the outside and seal it up but it won't be as strong as it should be.

Your problem is probably caused by the installer of the new windshield. I used to work at a glass shop and some of the auto glass installers would do things as quickly as possible to get the job done whether it was right or not( who's never done that?) For example, S-10s are one vehicle where it is possible to R&R the windsheild without removing the cowl pieces. However, it is difficult to get enough glue under the cowl in the right place to get a windshield to seal properly with the cowl still on. I'd bet that your windsheild was never sealed all the way but it finally popped out at the mall. You wouldn't have noticed that it was loose because a leak that would cause water to flow uphill is rare. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sometimes you can use silicon stop a leak but it doesn't have the holding strength of urethane and will certainly piss off the next guy who tries to put a windshield in.

I suggest you take it to a glass shop and have em R&R the windsheild the right way. Maybe even ask one of the guys if they wanna do it on the side for $$$ if they can get your windshield out in one piece and put back in.

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Windsheilds are glued in with urethane that will only stick to glass if it is cleaned and primed with special primer. You might be able to shoot some urethane down along the cowl from the outside and seal it up but it won't be as strong as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

"3M Super Fast Urathane" is a primerless product..

Of course pulling a windshield is the proper way to repair...
    bit then you run the risk of breaking the windshield.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Ask the glass guys at the shop if one of them wants to do it on the side. I know an engineer that I work with who used to install glass that replaced the windshield in my roommate's 99' crown vic for 150 bucks, that was with new glass too.

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

If all else fails , remember the handy man's secret weapon....duct tape /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea the guy who put the windhsield in my k-10 had to put some urathane in one spot were the window frame is rusted through! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i gatta get the windshield in my s-10 replaced now.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what orion said, yep:D

the windshields on the camaros and firebirds '82-up do this too alot i know, they become unattached alogn entire bottom, it will need to be reset, i recommend spending the 30 or so buvks and take the truck to a local small glass shop guy and he will fix it in matter of minutes what he will do is take spatula looking attachment in a sawzall motor and go all around the windshield perimiter with that from inside of cab after removing any trim piece sin the way, and then will clean the "bed" surfaces of the cab up and apply new bed sealer and center windshield onto that

i had an 84 Z28 that the windshield was so loose in it that it split up the center and the VIN tag was buzzing cuz air flying past it when were going down the road. took me a while to figure out what the alien wierdo sound was coming from the dash, it would make constant buzz sound for a few seconds and then a "snap"! it was wierd.

good luck

15. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I also recommend taking it to a glass shop to have it removed and replaced. I have been installing glass for 16 years and have seen this often. Sometime's it's the installers fault but most of the time it is the original windshield breaking loose because of the poor quality of the primers. Make sure they remove all of the old materials when they do this. Hope this helps if its not to late.

16. bablazer73

HOLY SMOKES!!! YOUR BACK!! I haven't seen you around for a couple years!! Not since i went to fingerlakes to look at those 2 blazers!!

Well, I cobbed it!!~! It wasn't the original windsheild. it unglues from the windsheild itself!! I just lifted the windsheild and put more goop on it!! If the truck actually last's another 6 month's, It would be a freakin Miracle!!
    so far, 1 week, no leaks!!

17. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm back. Nice to see a familiar name. How ya been? Things sure have changed here /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've been really busy with work and finally bought a house. The old 83 blazer rotted away and blew another rear so it was stripped of the few good parts left /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and junked. I now have an 88 purchased for $500 that the wife has been driving the last 2 yrs. I also just picked up an 83 for $500 with no motor that was restored 2 yrs ago and has been sitting ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif