Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

angering public protest?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 8, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The most angering thing I've seen in a while was on Saturday of this past weekend. A woman was standing along the road holding a sign. It read something to the effect of "American, the original nuclear terrorists, ask Nagasaki and Heroshima". Again she is allowed her own opinion, but man that pissed me off, comparing the terrorist attacks on America to an act of war that saved countless American lives(sadly taking countless Japanese to do so) :mad: I don't know, maybe I was too angered by one persons opinions, it just bothered me greatly. I had family who was at Pearl Harbor, who recounted the horrors of it, I just don't get it...

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It's called liberal media brainwashing.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Although any atomic type violence is abhorrent, in the singular fact that it isn't a single instance, but a lasting effect, look how well Japan recovered and how well they are doing now. Japan doesn't whine, it holds a respectful memory of a bad time and moves on. Kind of like Germany, the bus tours you go on there, barring the concentration camp visits, barely mention WWII. That's more of a shame feeling though I suppose.

Of course you could remind her that the constant defense of this country's values is the only thing allowing her to protest.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I dont think i would have been able to stop myself from drifting off the road and running her over.

I am scared of what history books will read by the time i have kids in school. Will our acts in past wars be taught as terrorism and those who attacked us on 9/11 be praised as hero's, or portreyed as the victims?

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

peace, love and a lack of braincells... ;)

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Laughable and uninformed.

Last I checked it was more like Uncle Sam finishing something the Japs started.

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

And I bet they don't ever **** with us again !!!

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

RAH RAH RAH MY COCK IS SO BIG I CAN WAVE A 3' x 5' FLAG OFF OF IT, PATRIOT PATRIOT PATRIOT

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thing is, it saved a huge number of Japanese also. If we would have had to stage amphibious landings on the main islands. many many more would have died and it would have lasted a lot longer, causing starvation and plauge to kill perhaps millions more!

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fixed it for ya! ;)

11. Desert Rat

People forget that Japan invaded China prior to our entering the conflict. Approximate civilian fatalities from their occupation? 10 million including one of the most brutal acts in recent history during the rape of Nanking. Total civilian casualties in Japan, even including the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings? 300,000. Estimated American and allied lives saved by ending the war with the nuclear bombings, approximately 500,000.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

been a ton of shows on the history channel lately... that 60 yrs ago this week thing for one...

there are arguments that they would have had to surrender in a couple months anyway, but i find them weak.. Truman had no choice, it was a no-brainer.. and 85% of the american public agreed...

hehe, that channel is like my homepage on tv... ;)

13. Desert Rat

Actually they've gotten their payback a hundred times over in the business world. They damn near owned us a few years back until finally their own economy starting stumbling a bit.

14. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Well said. :usaflag:

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

They should have recovered well... We spent billions rebuilding Japan and Germany after WWII. Remember the Marshall Plan?
    As already stated, the use of nuclear weapons to end the Pacific war ultimately saved more lives than it took. The 500,000 American casualties number was IIRC extrapolated from casualties sustained during the invasions of other Pacific islands, especially Iwo Jima and Okinawa. An American invasion of Honshu ("mainland" Japan) would have been opposed by, literally, nearly every man, woman, and child able to bear a weapon of sorts. Probably would've been millions of Japanese civilian casualties... and Hirohito still may not have stopped after that.