Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Angle measurement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Aug 31, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Question for measuring driveshaft angles. I have a angle protractor (floating needle type), just where do I measure angles at, and what is the acceptable tolerances in difference. I measured once already at pinion yoke and rear output shaft, got 7.5 at pinion and 8 and output shaft. Just want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks for help.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You need to take the shaft angle as a base. then you have to take the angle of the pinion. A good place for this is to place the gauge flat on the yoke flats where the ujoint caps bolt in. That will give you the pinion angle. Then you have to subtract the pinion angle from the shaft angle. This will give you the working angle at the pinion. Now do the same with the output shaft. If you have the slip yoke use the flat surface at the end of the output shaft as your angle surface! Then subtract that number from the shaft angle. Then compare this angle to the pinion angle adn these 2 numbers need to be within 2 degrees of one another.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the easiest flat surface on the dif is the machined surface for the inspection cover. depends on your trans case but any machined surface from the flywheel to the back of the transcase will be parallel to the output yoke. just to avoid having to pull the shaft.
    what is the current rule of thumb on differences? i think on the rear 4-6 degrees pinion down and the front 4-6 degrees pinion up. pretty meaningless numbers as what you are after is under power the difs to wrap to equal.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Agreed, but I'd rather pull the shaft than pull the cover off.[​IMG]

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

some difs the machined surface for the cover extends past the cover and gives an easy to use surface to put the angle finder