Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Angled Plug Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lifethroughdeath, Apr 27, 2003.

1. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i've FINALLY rounded up enough cash to replace my rusted out, worn out, tired old stock exhaust system on my 90' K5 , and i've already got everything i need, i.e. muffler, cats, pipe, etc... but in looking for headers i've found what i want, but they say they will not fit with angle plug heads and i have no f*cking clue what that means!! like i said my truck is a 1990 K5, 4x4 350 700r4. pretty much everything is stock as im the second owner (first was a chick) and i've only had it for a few months now. so if you guys could explain what that means, or if i have it or what, it'd be great, thanks alot
    nate

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Not to be an ass, but double postings just not worth it. Chances are 1 post will sit dead.

TECHNICALLY this is best in the Garage where the other post is, since this is the dedicated 73-91 tech forum.

3. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Registered Member

Hi Nate! if your engine is stock, you don't have angle plug heads, and any reference to angle plug heads doesn't apply to you.

When the catalogs say that headers don't fit angle plug heads, all they mean is that they are designed for the stock configuration, which is the plug coming out of the head at a ninety degree angle.

Back in the day, hot rodders would drill spark plug holes at all kinds of wierd angles, the idea being to locate the plug tip in the combustion chamber at a more advantageous location for a more efficient burn. I have a set on my Camaro.. they work great, except that the headers make it a pain to change the plugs. Anyway, what kind of headers are you buying? Dynomax sends theirs to jet hot to be coated before they are sold to the public, and they last a good long time. I have hookers on the camaro, and I sent them to jet hot 6 years ago, and they still look good.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

i've FINALLY rounded up enough cash to replace my rusted out, worn out, tired old stock exhaust system on my 90' K5 , and i've already got everything i need, i.e. muffler, cats, pipe, etc... but in looking for headers i've found what i want, but they say they will not fit with angle plug heads and i have no f*cking clue what that means!! like i said my truck is a 1990 K5, 4x4 350 700r4. pretty much everything is stock as im the second owner (first was a chick) and i've only had it for a few months now. so if you guys could explain what that means, or if i have it or what, it'd be great, thanks alot
    nate

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When you look at your spark plugs from the side of the engine if they stick straight out then they are not angle plug heads.

5. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

thanks for you help

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Angle plug heads was a trick GM did in the 60's to get better combustion flame by angleing the plug in the chamber. It didn't work very well. Most of the after market world has forgotton these heads! Other than nostalgic reasons, they ain't worth a dang!!