Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Angled Plug Heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lifethroughdeath, Apr 27, 2003.

1. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i've FINALLY rounded up enough cash to replace my rusted out, worn out, tired old stock exhaust system on my 90' K5 , and i've already got everything i need, i.e. muffler, cats, pipe, etc... but in looking for headers i've found what i want, but they say they will not fit with angle plug heads and i have no f*cking clue what that means!! like i said my truck is a 1990 K5, 4x4 350 700r4. pretty much everything is stock as im the second owner (first was a chick) and i've only had it for a few months now. so if you guys could explain what that means, or if i have it or what, it'd be great, thanks alot /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    nate
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

the plugs enter the heads at an angle. the outside ends point toward one another kinda like:
    / \ / \
    ------- <-- Engine center line
    \ / \ /

that. hard to explain without begin able to draw a picture.

-Ryan

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Excellent picture Topdown!!

That is exactly how they are positioned in the heads. On non-angled plug heads, the spark plugs are exactly parallel to the front axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I always wanted to be an ASCII artist! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

My '90 has the same drivetrain as yours, I don't have angle plug heads... You probably don't hafta worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

you prob don't have angle plugs. They are only found on some GM bowtie heads and some aftermarket hi-po heads. As far as I know the factory never used them on production vehicles and if they did it certainly wasn't on a K5

7. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The L98 (TPI) Aluminum Vette heads from approx 88-91 were angle plug heads. These will work with some headers, but not others as they are angled like the picture above. Also note that the porcelin end of the plug also angles slightly toward the ground on aftermarket heads, but not on the Vette Heads listed above.... they are horizontal.