Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Angles and Carbs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Oct 22, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was wondering for you carb guys, at what kinda angles are u going up that your engine starts to flood? we talking like crazy stuff, like 45degree or more mellow?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I havent had the oppertunity to take my truck off camber as I wish not too... trail riding and mud for me....

supposedly my truck avenger is good for 45 degrees... also a magazine did a review of the truck avenger to which is why i got it. .they stood their jeep straight up... rested on the spair tire and it still ran... also laid it almost all the way on its side and still ran... so supposedly great for angles... I saw that people looked and didnt post so didnt want ya to feel like no one was gonna post... :wink1:

3. gauder

gauder Banned

I looked but didn't know the exact number so I didn't reply initially. I would bet that a regular quadrabog is significantly less than the truck avenger.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The Q-jet is at least as good at angles as the truck avenger. It is widely considered the best carb you can have on a 4x4. And yeah, it can take 45 deg, I have never had mine die on me from it being at too steep of an angle (I run a Q-jet if you hadn't guessed, and I have done some REAL serious wheelin' with it i.e. every difficult trail in the Moab 4x4 book and then some). Seriously, Q-jets rock! :D

5. gauder

gauder Banned

And I've learned something new. I've generally not run a quadrajet in my drag racing experience because I find it easier to turn a holley. Thanks for the info.

6. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

our group has holley-normal and truck,edlbrooks truck and normal and qjets.the best running ones are the qjets.have laid my jimmmy almost on its side-could touch the ground while sitting in itand have had the front bumper on the ground and is always ran fine.onlt time it has acted up is when it is bounced real hard.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

I just bought my rig (83 Jimmy) so I can't really tell 'cause I'm still working on the overall maintenance before really testing it out, but what I did do was a quick run on the sand dunes behind my house (easily 45 degrees, both sides) and the stock Q-jet did not cough once but there was a strong smell of petrol.

Is the gas smell in the cab normal for a carb engine when at a sharp angle or off-camber? Where is it coming from and is there any way to make sure it's not dangerous? I drive in very hot weather, and fires are common.

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

alright awesome! gives me more confidence in running the carb over tbi.. just cant afford 350 tbi stuff now. :)

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

the 83 will have a bowl vent at the front of the carb, make sure someone didn't pull the hose off and leave it open, if they did, just plug it with a rubber vacuum cap, check to see if you still have the charcoal canister as well

10. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Yes, from memory (it's night now) there is an obvious hose missing from the front of the carb - I can check carefully tomorrow. Where did the original hose go to and what was its purpose? To recycle gas fumes back in? In any case, I'll just plug it as you said.

I do have the charcoal canister, with proper-looking hoses attached. Not sure where they run from/to but I'll check in the morning.

Thanks - you guys are my link to sanity.

Imagine that, my link to sanity is to a bunch of insane off-road guys!!! :eek1: :haha:

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

IIRC, it somehow went over to the charcoal canister, and yes, just to recycle the fumes, to keep them from escaping to atmospere

12. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Qjet

I have run Q-jet's, Carter 625cfm, Holley 600,750, 850 and currently a 700. I have found the Q-jet by far to the best off road and not in just off camber but also just bouncing around the trail. With the Q-jet you never have to worry about keeping the RPM up so it won't die.

13. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the edelbrock 1406 IIRC and had some trouble with the bouncing off road. I installed their offroad kit which is spring loaded needles and havent had any trouble since with it. Angle wise I have never noticed any problems but I mostly do trail rides so dont take my word as gospel. I do know that my friends with holley street carbs, not the truck avenger, have had flooding problems. I guess if i did a carb again I would go q-jet and experiment with running it backwards, I have heard that this works well.