Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

angles for crossover....

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by misfit, Jan 7, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

stephen, what would you consider the best crossover steering setup? tie rod over the springs? should the tie rod and drag link be as parallel as possible? i plan on using GM issue rod ends on everything where possible. any comments at all are appreciated.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I really prefer to see the tie rod left under the spring and the draglink running all the way to the right knuckle. This gives you the longest draglink possible for the least bumpsteer possible. And keeps the draglink from rolling the tierod over everytime you steer it. Depending on how much wheel travel you have, spring thickness, crossmember configuration, etc, there may or may not be room for the tie rod to go on top anyway.
    With the draglink on top, you have to pay attention to the angles as the draglink goes into the pitman arm and the steering arm, but that's not that hard to sort out.
    There's my .02

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

im considering using dom tubing(probably around 1.5 od) for both tie rod and drag link, as opposed to solid bar stock. my existing tie rod only has one replaceable end(its a 74,on the pass side) also, how much are d44 flat top knucles and are they in stock?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Heavy wall DOM should work just fine.
    We don't have any of the knuckles for sale outright, we can't find enough of them to sell so we do the machine work on customers knuckles and send them back.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD