Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Angry again - Not the song - Long IT guy rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 11, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Pissed off at Dell. I had a hard drive fail on a management machine last week. Gave the guy a slower replacement machine, took his and promised it back to him in 3 days, tops, since we have a next day service contract and I gave myself a buffer zone...

So I get the replacement drive from Dell, install it, and decide to set up Windows XP instead of rolling off the old Windows 2000 image.
    I go for automated setup, turn my back and do something else. 30 seconds into it, I hear the scrape of death, and setup is whining. Reboot, do a drive diag before bothering with anything else, sure enuff, "Error code:7 - Failed".

So I call Dell and tell them I refuse to accept an IBM replacement part. I go round for 2 hours between tech support and customer service, and finally, after a 20 minute hold, which was hung up, I said screw it, and will no longer recommend or rave about Dell service (this is one of many crappy cutsomer service situations lately, like they're sliding back down).

So I'm pissed now, cause 5 days later, I get a drive I'm hoping will work, and it's a POS IBM, with a "Serviceable Used Part" sticker. B freaking S. I have less machines than I want because I spend my budget on quality product over quantity. We pay a lot of money for a service contract, too, I should not be getting a junk part that failed for someone else and got a performance degrading fix by the vendor (Dell) dumped back in my hands. And I sure as heck should not be getting a working replacement part several days after the first reported failure, and then a frigging runaround and zero cooperation when requesting an "equal" brand replacement. If I wanted sub-par quality and self service, walmart sells machines dirt cheap (without the BS of paying extra for an OS, too, since we have a corporate frigging licensing agreement).

These junk units should have been recalled. I've replace dozens myself, including replacing dozens of the replacements, my counterparts in the city have replaced dozens, and guys in the company that I talk to across the country have also replaced dozens each, and all were shortly after the machines were first put in service.
    IBM must be glad they dumped drive manufacturing...

Not to mention how dumb I look to this manager and sound like an excuse-maker with "They sent me a bad part, so it'll be a little longer".

Cripes, I wonder now if it might be a worthwhile investment to buy a pallet of drives to replace these garbage drives before they go belly up. Quick turnaround and reliability are more important than waiting for Dell to get thier S*** back together and going through this kind of BS.

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Dang, that's a drag.

5 years ago Dell was winning all kinds of awards for their great service but you aren't the first person I've heard griping about them lately.

I went through a similar ordeal with Compaq a few years back. Their drives were failing and it would take 2 or 3 days to get replacements so I just went to our parts supplier and got a handfull of hard drives to use as spares while I waited for the replacements. I would put an image on the spare drives and be able to just pop them into the busted computers. When the new drives came in, I would just use DriveImage to move everything to the replacement drive.

That was a little more work for me but it kept everyone from cussing me out when I told them it would take 3 days to get their computer back.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Exactly what I was thinking, but replacing them pre-emptively...

4. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Serviceable used part is normal on ibm we always pealed off the sticker if we were on a service call, when the customer sees that it always caused problems.

How about the sticker on the replacement laptop hdd from ibm

Some rattle is normal

And they do rattle, sound like little pieces floating around in there.

It sux when you get bad parts especially when you are miles from the lab

You also always get doa parts when it’s the president of the company’s computer
    And you’re trying for a quick as possible turn around

I have yet to find a hdd that I really trust
    Everything is backed up I will not loose 40+ gigs of tunes and vids because of a pos hdd

Replacement hdds from the manufacture for warranty are like the flavor of the day
    Could be anything
    As long as the part number is the same I can return the old one.

Doing warranty work for the manufactures is a different world. When I started it was no problem now I have to be certified on every model I work on. That’s lots of tests

If I use more than one part per call they take money off your renbesmet .

For ibm it comes down to 1.2 parts per call out of ten.

O well blla bla bla
    I could go on forever