Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Annoying high idle after WOT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have had this problem for awhile now and I want to get it fixed.
    When ever I punch the throttle and then come to a stop it has a high idle, about 1200ish. I can get it a little lower by bliping the throttle but it usually just takes time to return to normal idle, 600.
    SOOO I believe it is a throttle linkage, butterfly problem.
    The linkage feels like it is all the way back down (idle) as in it isnt getting hung up or anything like that.
    Maybe a stiffer return spring might help?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had the same problem, happened on a trail once and almost hit a tree because of it. right then and there i pulled teh electric choke out and it was fine after that. i put a manual choke on it since then and then changed carbs. even then every once in a blue moon it would do it, but very rarley and it comes down to almost idle after blipping the throttle. when i changed carbs i left the hot air choke that was on it and got rid of the manual.

im sure it was the choke, but id like to know if anyone else has something other to add.

3. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

my edelbrock does the same ,not as high an rpm as your but I can go under the hood and pull the throttle closed and idles back down I think I need a more powerful spring but just been too lazy .