Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 1-ton parts truck possibility.... whattayathink??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 22, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I know you get tired of me posting this crap /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but I'm a mad man on a 1-ton mission. I found a 1973 1-ton 4x4 dually with a 4-speed[SM465], a NP205, and a rusty, nasty body for $650. Is that too early for a D60? I thought I read last week on CK5 that they started in '77. If so, I'm looking at a 8-lug D44. But, considering the price, I could still get all of my manual tranny swap parts, some 8-lugs, and buy my D60 later on. That wasn't my original plan, but plans change right. I'm not sure of the gearing though. Hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would pass on that. The fact the rear is a dually 14FF makes no sense to pay that much and not be able to use it when the D44, 465, and 205 are the only usable items. If you still insist on buying it, pay like around $400 for the truck instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The older 60's had smaller diameter axles in them.....

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Well crap, that's kinda what I was thinking. I already have a SRW 14BFF in the garage, but it's an open 3.73. My current tires are shot and I am stepping up to 38-39.5"s so 4.56 gears are a must have. If the dually is a 4.56, I could always swap stuff with my SRW right? Then, throw in a Detroit... Arggghhhh /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Thanks for putting up with my never ending questions about stuff I find in the ad bulletin guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

One good thing is the truck comes with a dump bed which I could probably sell for at least $200. If I can talk the guy down to $400, that'd be sweet.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah k30 not til 77, so hmm.
    most likely the truck is actually a K20, id check the vin code and model code too, and look on axle for 44 or 60 on corner webbign of diff housing, and for date casting code too,.]

good luck