Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 10 bolt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Aug 6, 2001.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Heres the classic problem: regear and put a traction device in a 10 bolt or get a dana 60.

The type of wheeling I do most of, and am planning on, is sand, (abusive tractor pull type stuff), and trails with every kind of dirt and lots and lots of loose rock. I'm most worried about the horsepower hill climbs with the soft dirt lots of rocks. Some of the rocks are stationary as well. It's held up so far to 33's and a 305, but will it be able to hold up to 35/16 R16 boggers ( or else 38 15 R16 SSR's when they come out) being spun by >= 400 horsepower (383 or 454 on the way)?

I'm leaning toward the 60, but naturally I'd like to keep what I have because it's cheaper and lighter than a 60.

Another reason I'm leaning toward the 60 is the larger brakes. How do the 10 bolt brakes compare to the 60's?

I am planning on an automatic type of traction aid, either a trutrac or a powr lock. I'm shying away from a detroit because I need to turn sharply, and I want it automatic, no ARB.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you're stepping up to Boggers driven by 400+ HP, and doing "abusive tractor pull type stuff", I'd recommend against spending any money on your 10-bolt, and start saving up for a D60 (assuming you're talking about the front axle). Unless you want to grind calipers, you better plan on buying 16" or 16.5" wheels, too.

I believe the brakes on a D60 are MUCH more powerful than a 10-bolt. The rotors are like 1 or 2" larger in diameter, and the calipers (and pads) are bigger as well, giving you much more braking area.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif"&gt; <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you are planning on doing some pretty Gonzo stuff - I'd go with a D60, and save on repairing broken axle parts.

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>