Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another 14 bolt? cucv vs. 3/4 brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Jan 25, 2005.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey everyone. I have been wondering what size drum brakes both the cucv 14 bolt and the 3'4 ton 14 bolt have. Here's my dillema... I have a cucv 14 bolt w/4.56's and detroit and a 3/4 ton 14 boltFF. The 3/4 ton will go right in the blazer while the cucv 14 will require me to move spring perches and shock mounts. So should I pull the gears out of the cucv and have them put in the 3/4 ton axle or should i move the perches and shock mounts on the cucv? The gear/locker swap will probably be more expensive, but I like knowing all the angles are right and everything is welded correctly on the 3/4 axle. Back to the brakes, what is the minimum size wheel that I can put on the cucv axle... those drums are friggin huge! They make the 3/4 look soooo wimpy! One more question... is it true that if the carrier has four holes for the pinion shafts it cant be a gov lok? The govlock has to have three, right? Sorry so many topics, it's been tough for me to get good answers to these questions. By the way, this site it incredible! I find for more cool stuff on here. Thanks guys!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Move your spring perches and shock mounts. You're talking a 2 hour job, max.

CUCV brakes are 13x3.5" 3/4 ton are 13x2.5". I'd suggest dumping either of them and putting discs on. It will save you weight and it's cheaper than fixing the drums if they need freshening.

On the Gov-Lock question, you're correct.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks... I don't see how you get any work done answering everyones questions. The cucv drums measure nearly 16" while the 3/4 ton is about 12 3/4" od. Does this make any sense?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe you have the rare small brakes on your 3/4ton axle. I remember seeing a few 14's with small diameter drums vs. the standard 13x2.5" drums. Like Tim said, dump them and go disks.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The smallest drums for the 14FF are 11" ID. The larger ones (13" ID) come in two widths - for 2.5" and 3.5" shoes. Sounds like you have the 11" drums on your 14FF.