Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 14 Bolt FF Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Mar 25, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I have located 14bFF in a late 70's SRW 3/4 ton 2wd. Is the spring perch center-center and the WMS-WMS correct for my '84 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. I'm fairly sure it's the right one but I just want to make sure. And is $200 at a salvage yard a good price? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Not too sure about that price...I picked one up last week for $50.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The spring width and wms are the same as your current axle. The 2wd versions' shockmounts are about 1.5 - 2" lower on the axle tube but are on the right sides. I would pay $200 for a 14B FF in good condition.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the spring perch center-center and the WMS-WMS correct for my '84 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[ QUOTE ]
    And is $200 at a salvage yard a good price

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad price...especially if it's got the gear ratio you want and doesn't need an overhaul before you can swap it in.

[ QUOTE ]
    14bFF in a late 70's SRW 3/4 ton 2wd

[/ QUOTE ]

Being from a 2wd, the shock mounts will be about 2 inches lower than the 4wd version. This gives you a couple of options. One, you can just hook up you current shocks and you'll loose some axle droop in articulation. Two, you could cut and re-weld the shock mounts. Or three, buy some longer shocks.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If it's in good condition then 200 clams sounds good, but if need a lot of work then get 'em to lower the price...

6. trollporter

Thanks for the input guys. The axle appears to to be in fair condition from what I can see and I'm not sure about the cog ratio. Can't find a ratio tag like some of the others that I've seen. And the shock mounts aren't that big of a deal because I'm going with Mossouri Off-Road shock over axle set up, I think i'll get a little better arc out of the suspension. I need the top spring plates too, right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The 200 Beans dois sarting to sound like a little high.

7. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Pull the cover and count the teeth. Divide the big one by the little one and get your gear ratio. The ratio is also stamped on the ring gear. That will also let you check the condition of the internals and find out if it is a open carrier, gov-loc, etc... Offer 'em $100 if it looks to your liking. I got a open-carrier, 4.11, 14BFF in good tight condition at a pull-a-part-yourself place for $75. Save yourself some trouble and get the springplates and ubolts. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4x4mike

4x4mike Registered Member

I am in the process of rebuiling a 14 bolt to replace my 10 bolt. The spring percehes are the same. My 2wd 14 WMS is about 3/4 shorter than that of my stock 4wd 10 bolt. The brakes are much bigger and with after market wheels with different backspacing I should noitce no difference.

9. trollporter

Thanks, this is some great info. Will 15" rims fit over the drum? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

15" rims will fit, and it's an 8 lug axle?