Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 14FF Disc Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by white-rhyno, Apr 10, 2002.

1. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

For all you guys our there with the disc conversion, can you still run a 15" wheel? Can the calipers be ground like the front? Doing the conversion soon but might change my mind if I cannot run 15's. Or possibly a differnt offset??

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You dont need to grind the calipers with this conversion to run 15" wheels.

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I guess I will go for it then.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I got a question about Disc swap too. (sorry to take over your post) What type of brake lines does the rear conversion use? Does it use the original hard style lines the run along the axle, or the soft lines like the front. If anyone has pics I would appreciate it. Also, what is the total cost for the conversion? Thanks

Harley

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Hoss,
    i used the front d44 soft lines on my rear caddy calipers. i had to grind part of the ear off to position it correctly. the caddy line is solid and the block that bolts onto the caliper is just plain squarish. the d44 line has 2 ears on each side.

ARQ.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I took some measurements and went to earls and peiced together a complete new braided steel line setup.. new banjo bolts, fittings, etc, it cost me about $65 out the door.. I could even post the part #'s if anyone wanted... Ill take pics asap

mike

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Go for it, we can link your post if anyone ever asks again.

8. Hossbaby50

Pics would be great. I am a very visual person so pics would be the best thing for me to understand fully how the setup and swap is. Also if you could get some pics of your disc setup that would be great too. I am thinking about going to a disc setup when I swap my 14bff in. If I need new drums for my axle I will most likely be going disc.

What all parts are involved? New rotors off a 3/4 ton D44, el dog calipers, disc brackets, and lines? What other calipers can I use with the setup? Can I use D44 or 10 bolt calipers? Thanks

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I am getting on the right road now...

I am looking to go a bit beefier on my axels (1979 K5)

I should look for the 14 bolt FF off a 3/4 ton 2x or 4x4 truck or sub

What should I look for in a front axel? Should I get the one off the same model of truck or should I get one off a different model of truck? What model of axel would that be?

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Harley,
    Go for the disk brake setup, it's cheaper than replacing the drums. Get the bracket's from misfit and the reset of the parts from autozone. I haven't finished the conversion yet let alone the 3/4 ton axle install but I figure do it right the first time and be happy with the results. If you need any help let me know. That's is if your in town....

Mike

11. Hossbaby50

I will be back in a month. Then I am going to start redoing th 14bff. I am buying DesertDuelers front axle with a lockright and 4.56's, and he is going to install my 4.56's in the 14bff and weld it. So everything is looking good at this point for some major wheeling during the summer. Just got to get the cashflow up.

Are you using the El Dorado calipers for you 14bff? If so how much did autozone have them for? What year are they off of?

12. tomnits

tomnits Registered Member

13. Hossbaby50

Thanks for the pics. Now I understand alot better. If I use the El Dorado calipers is there the provision for the ebake on there? I use my ebarke once and a while, and would like to keep it if at all possible.