Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another 14sf thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Oct 11, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Ive looked around and just like everyone else, I would like to keep my 6 lug wheels, but I was wondering how well the 14sf 9.5 ring gear will hold up. I will not be going bigger than 35's and I will use around a 3.73 or 3.42. I am putting a new engine in here in a few months that will make around 450 lb/ft of torque with a 700r4.

So the question: Will this axle put up with about anything I throw at it? I may end up going limited slip. Also, this is my daily driver and mud and asphalt is about the only thing it will see, and the only rock we have is limestone, so I dont rock crawl any.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run a 14b sf i have put it thew alot of abuse and never did it cause any troubles. i have 4.10s, 35s and a sbc with 400 ft lbs of torque with a sm465/np208. i would run 40s on it and not sweat it, they are a strong axle, just not as strong as a 14bff,

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd run it without worry...as long as it's not a gov-lock. Heck, even the 10 bolts hold up pretty well when they aren't gov-locks. Yes, they fail, but pretty much everything is substantially bigger on the 14SF. Basically an overgrown 10/12 bolt itself.

I'm leaning towards an LS myself, probably the Eaton, but I'm told by Randy's ring/pinion that eaton is coming out with an 800lb(? "tighter") variant soon, if you can wait. I checked eaton's site, don't see anything regarding what the current one is rated at, nor availability of a new one. I believe the low spring rating on their other stuff is like 3-400lbs. I figure with a heavy truck and big tires IF you are going LS and not locker, the tighter the better.

Not that great for offroad, but for what it sounds like you are going to do, it would probably be a good choice. Just pricey.

4. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

shoot, the 12 bolt holds up well to 35's with no locker and moderate throttle, and the 9.5" 14b is 12% larger, so should handle at least 12% bigger tires than that, so about 38's. You should be fine. I would look intoa c-clip eliminator kit though so your axle doesn't depart while driving :crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have seen a few eat out the pass side spider gear hole in the carriers. other than that thay put them in the 454 ss trucks with 5 lug and a bbc . :D