Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another 4bt ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bear76, Aug 31, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have a line on a frito-lay truck with the 4bt in it and th400. What would I need to do to get the 2wd trans to fit the np241 in my 91'? Or should I find an older, maybe a 205, and th400 and use that to replace everything? Also, WTF should I do with the rest of the Frito-lay truck after I rape it of it's drivetrain:confused: .

Thanks

2. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

Probably swapping the output shaft is all that is needed.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

take the rest of the truck to a scrap metal place, scrap steel is going for about $75 a ton right now which is pretty high

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good idea!..

It recently "fell" to 100 bucks a ton here,for scrap steel--from a high of 110 bucks!..but there are other things you can do with an old "step van"..

First thing I thought of was using it for a storage shed--IF you have the space for it,and neighbors wont object to it!--most are aluminum bodied,which wont ever rust,and a coat of paint lasts for many years (or its worth $$$ as scrap too!--). many have dualie rears,that might fit a K truck with some mods too..if it has a straight front axle,they make a decent trailer axle..

I've seen some of the longer step vans cut down and made into a flatbed car hauler for cheap money..maybe stuff your old gas motor in it,and use it for that??...or a cheap tow rig,or a home built camper??...:crazy:

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

scrap aluminum is pretty high right now I heard of someone around colorado getting $1800 of scrap for one

6. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

You'll need to replace the 2wd output shaft with a 4wd,the trans will have to be taken aprt to due this.You might as well go through the trans and do some mods .If you going to live the 4b stock then it will be fine.That engine came make up to 300hp and 500lb .

You'' need to replace the engine crossmember ,the stock one won't work.( I sell them and mounts as well.)
    you'll need a 3'' exhaust from turbo back.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

What is the weakest part of the trans? I figured I might have the trans rebuilt while everything was out. What type of upgrades should I be looking for? I will keep it mostly stock, It would be nice to bump up the power a bit due to the th400 power drain.
    My goal is to make a stout DD that I can take on trails and to the beach and still get mid 20's mpg. I will be adding a 1" BL but keep everything else stock. I have 10b 3.73's now but might try and find some 14b with 3.08's for the mileage, if they even made them.
    Could you provide me a list of what you make that might help me with this swap?

Thanks!

8. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

What will the 4b going into? 2wd or 4wd?
    Truck,burb,blaz?what year.

The trans I would rebuild,I would look for some that know's a thing about diesel auto's.Most place will swap out the trans and will give ya back a gas th400 and not think anything about it.

I would install up graded clutches.and replace anything that has any wear .

The list goes on ,harden input,drums ect.

Is the 4b have a inline or p pump?

9. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it's going a 91" blazer 4wd. I don't know witch pump, it's not at my house yet.

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Should be an interesting build. Keep us posted:laugh:

Really like your bike. From a Connissieur (sp?) who can't tell if it's a Harley or not:doah::rolleyes:. I'd want a flatter handle bar though....

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually if it's a fixed yoke 2wd th400, the 208 should fit on the same shaft, just unbolt the yole and tailhousing and you have a 4x4 th400.
    I heard that 241 is a different size though.
    I don't know about the 205 either, I can check with a friend of mine that has the 205.
    I had the 208 so it was perfect.
    Also the D20 (not that you would want that Tcase in the blazer) will bolt up to the same 2wd th400.

12. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

I should have said that the shaft would have to be replaced if it had the slip yoke, because the shaft would be to long.

(Sorry for the missed info).

CrewCab59

13. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Deal fell apart. Thanks for the replies! But when one door closes another opens, see new post m1009!