Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 4l80e question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Jun 28, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I have TBI out of a 91 truck. Can I find a TBI with a computer for the 4l80 and replace mine? Also, is the transmission controls (wiring harness) built into the engine wiring harness and does the trans have its own prom like in 93+ systems.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can only say that there are TBIs with 4l80Es behind them. What years? I can't say for certain. my 95 K2500 had a TBI 350 with a 4l80E behind it. I don't know the harness question, been dealing with Vortec trucks too much(in fact spent hours trying to fix a 4l80e behind a Vortec 454 today...)

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

when tbi and tranny its all one computer. i have a stand alone harnness and 4l80 in a truck with custom chip to run tranny only . then tyed in to stock tbi stuff. for basic signals needed to run.

i would just get a tbi / tranny harnness from http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16225&cat=0&page=and be done with the wiring stuff and it can be made with what you want or dont want on it. then thay can burn you a chip with out some stuff in it. and thay are nice people.

4. neverendingproject

I dont want to rewire my truck, I already have tbi, im just looking for a way to control it without having to buy a 650 dollar controller. The diesel controller could work, the transmission guy said he can set shift points through the tranny even though the diesel controller has different shift points, line pressure, etc. than gas motors. Whether this is true or not I dont know. I was thinking that a computer with the 4l80 would have like a third plug so I wouldnt have rewire my harness. Im basically looking for a cheap controller that will work on a gas motor. Is there a way I can reprogram a diesel controller?

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

My 91 Sub has TBI and a 4L80E.

6. neverendingproject

assuming its stock here... do you know what the computer plugins look like? or even if the trans and engine harnesses are different?

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I just acquired a 91 chevy with a 5.7 tbi and a 4l80e-clean truck, 175k miles, one owner. Will sell engine, tranny, harness, accessories for 1k.

8. neverendingproject

I just need harness and computer.... if you are willing to sell that is. :D

Maybe more info is needed first.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ECM and it's connectors looked the same to me, from the '91 1 ton I dismantled. 454/4L80E