Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 56" rear spring Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, May 26, 2006.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I've been searching for about two hours and can't quite find what I need :(. Does anyone have a pic of the rear shackle after doing the swap. I mean at ride height with it all bolted together and tires on. I have the 56" spring mocked up with the ORD 4" hanger swapped from left to right and using the stock shackle for now. When I put the jack under it to bring it up to place the shackle really flattens out:confused: , I think to much.

Has anyone found that moving the hanger maybe an extra inch back has helped? I know this would require redrilling holes but that doesn't scare me, if it makes it better. Does running the longer 6" shackle cure the problem?

Searching I found a ton of info, but not anything on this after the fact.

I'd post a pic of it, but I left my camera cord at work :doah: .

2. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

you need longer shackles. mine are 6"

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

As long as the shackles dont completly flatten out you should be fine. Enjoy the droop that will be gained with your new shackle angle. when i did a 56" swap, i never switched sides with the brackets, and used a long shackle, i had tons of angle and tons of flex!:D

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

It seams to be scary close to being completly flat. I may just be used to it being straight up and down. But for some reason I can see my self hitting a bump in the road and that thing bottoming out. Ouch!:eek1:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is the pic of mine. I have the DIY flip and I swapped sides with the brackets. My shackles are also 6 inches long:D .
    [​IMG]
    Did you swap sides with your brackets before you put the 56s on? If not that could be why your shackel is flattening out that much.

Ira

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I did flip sides with the brakets. I am going to order some 6" shackles, cause' it looks like that is going to fix the problem. But it still seems to be more severe than your pic.

7. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I'm considering doing the same thing. I have a set of 56's on a 73 K2500 that I can use. Sandawgk5 with the way yours is set up with the 4" lift in front and the 6" shackles in back does it sit fairly level? And will I need to reposition my rear axle or will it stay centered in the wheelwell?

Thanks
    Andy

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a zero rate in the rear to level my suspension out cause my 56s are pretty weak. I only have 5 leaves and no overload so your case might be different depending on how your 56 pack is set up. My rear could be pushed back a little it did move forward about 1" from stock and I still use my stock driveshafts front and rear. If you need a zero rate just position it to move the axle back if that is what you want. I did not do that as my plan is to put the long side forward on my 56s to move the rear axle back as far as I can without hitting the gas tank.

Ira