Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another 700-r4 problem......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alexlong, Feb 29, 2004.

1. alexlong

alexlong Registered Member

the 700-r4 in my 85 K5 is acting like it is, simplt put, slipping. It is a little more extreme than that though, it only does about 15 mph at 3000 RPMs, and only that fast really b/c it carries momentum. Any ideas before I get into it?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What gears did you lose? Do you have reverse? Sounds like you broke the splines on the sun gear. Time for a rebuild.
    You will need an aftermarket thick sun gear.

3. alexlong

I didn't actually lose any gears, they all act like they are barely "catching", like there is no power going to the wheels. It shifts just fine, but no power transfer

4. alexlong

Also, Advance Adapters is closed today, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they make an adapter to put the NV4500 onto an NP208?

5. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

I have a 700r4 in my 87 K5 and it has been acting up similar to yours lately too. I had the governor replaced and that helped (at least for a little while). The problem has come back and I'm not sure if that means that 700r4 trannys just eat governors for breakfast, or if it's just so old it needs to be rebuilt/replaced? At any rate, try the governor and see if that helps.

6. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Slipping? Possibly torque converter but not likely, it might be the pump in the transmission going out and not providing enough pressure.