Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another 700R4 NP205 thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Oct 17, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

OK I should be a couple weeks away from actually doing this. My 73 K20 has a 383 TH350 NP205. Im gonna swap in a rebuilt 700R4 4x4 tranny. So I buy this adapter/spacer for about $50 and then trim the tailshaft on the tranny 1/8th inch?? Is this right?? Also what should I use to cut the tailshaft without ruining it? And I'm expecting to have to shorten/lengthen driveshafts, move crossmember back, and probly make room in floorboard to move back T-case shifter. Ive searched here on CK5, but is there a good write up on this? Also am I missing anything here? :dunno: I like to do alot of reading, research and get as much info as I can so there wont be any surprises. Thanks!!

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Contact jekbrown. He's done this mod. He may even be selling his modded 700-R4/205 combo soon.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like you pretty much have it covered. You do need to cut 1/8" (or so) off the 700s output shaft. I had a shop do this... mainly because I had a trick $1600 trans that I didn't want to **** up just to save a few dollars. You'll also need the $50-ish spacer. These are pretty much bolt-up... not really rocket science once the output shaft is trimmed its pretty much bolt-on from there. Crossmember will have to be relocated. For the shifter we just heated/bent it until it fit through the stock np208 hole.

Thats pretty much it... you seem to have all the info you need already. If you need driveshaft measurements or anything let me know I can get them for you. Only other thing I can recommend is that you run a (custom) second crossmember under the 2" spacer. It comes with threaded holes for this purpose and it wouldn't hurt to take advantage of them. I was going to... but I am selling my Raptor 700 / np205 combo so I haven't invested the time.

j

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Hey Jekbrown, I thought with the spacer you didn't need to cut the tailshaft? I went with the Advance Adapters shorter shaft, but wish I had done the spacer instead. I had major headaches with pan clearance.