Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another ?? about eldorado calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jason4x4, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help on the previous post. and I just spent the last hour searching old posts for an answer. so, I just put the rear disc on the 14 bolt. Got the parking brake all hooked up to the eldorado calipers.
    First question, do you need the eldorado pads, cause I used front pads for my truck, and I think this is part of my problem.
    Second, my pedal is low, which I imagine is air, or parking brake out of adjustment, but the problem is, when I pull the lever on the caliper, you can see the piston go out, then it starts to spin. It only applies a slight amount of pressure, then the piston and the bracket all spin, so it doesn't hold the truck. Now I know this can't be right. So, how do these calipers work? and could the pads be part of the problem.
    anyway, thaks for the help, I'm going to bed, and hopefully I will have some insight into this in the morning.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need the Eldo pads, they are specific to those calipers because they index on the piston. The piston on the Eldo calipers must be screwed in when a brake job is done. If you try the old C-clamp trick you will ruin those calipers. The e-brake works on a screw and that's why you seen the piston turn since you don't have the correct pads to keep them from turning.

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

thanks, Thats what I thought. I don't know why I got the front pads to begin with. I will go get the pads and try again.

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

well, I went and got the right pads, now the e-brake works. but like most people have said, I think my master has taken a crud. Which I anticipated, but I left my master at work, so, guess I'll finish tomorrow.

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Make sure once you get the correct pads in that you tighten down the e-brake assembly all the way that the rear wheels will not turn or are extrememly difficult to turn. Leave the e-brake set while bleeding the brakes. Start at the passenger rear, passenger driver, passenger front, driver front when bleeding. Once you are solid. Then release the e-brake. If you do it any other way you will have e-brake failure and your brakes will not be bled properly. You must use e-brake consistantly for it to retain it's setting.

Hope this helps.

Manny

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually on our rigs you are suppose to bleed from the farthest away from master then get closer, RR, LR, RF, LF in that order. Also you DO NOT want the e-brake set when you bleed the brakes.