Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another annoying nooB question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mason, Mar 15, 2004.

1. mason

mason Newbie

What's up all,
    Poppin the cherry here, first post. Anyway here's the question: If you were starting over, looking for a rig under $3k what key things would you look for in a good truck for moderate tweaking and dependability?

I know I want something with a newer tranny/engine so I don't have to rebuild those for a lil while, I mean beside that, what year and characteristics. What are some of the common things to look for on Blazers. After being without the '85 P/U for a while the wife finally wants to get back out on the trails. And I need something to work on in the garage.

Thanks for your time.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well id look for a somewhat straight body, so you arent replacing panels to bash them up again, rust in the rockers and around the wheelwells... 88 or newer i guess would be your best bet (88-91) due to the availability of tbi and still a solid front axle..or go out and find an old one ton CUCV military truck for cheap and make a trail only rig..

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Where in AZ are you? I agree on the newer truck thinking. Luckily out here there isn't much rust. Sometimes buying a truck with some mods on it is iffy if you don't know who wrenched on it. I recommend a stock truck , clean as you can find, and add your own lift. Do you need emissions where you are at ( maricopa cty or tucson?) that is a consideration. Some trucks are missing stuff . Well welcome again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mason

mason Newbie

Thanks for the info, I'm in East Mesa. Once I get the backyard finished on the house then I have a green light from the wife to get myself a mistress, (Blazer), to spend long nights in the garage with. So from what I've read and what Pauly said it is no longer easier to have an older, say pre-77, Blazer for emission reason's? When I was building my '85 I had to give up because I need a daily driver and the motor I put in there was not emission compliant. And to get it there, well I'm sure some of you know how much crap was in that year. So I was thinking pre-77 would be easy to keep compliant if I did need to swap out a motor, because they are bare bones as far as emission's equip. aren't they?

Thanks again.

5. pauly383

Early trucks are easier to pass, no visual on pre 75, and until 79 or so you don't need much to do it. Cool on the E. Mesa, I am at broadway and Ellsworth area. I got a greenlight from my wife too, and now she wishes I spent more time with her /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If you got newer truck, say with efi , then you wont have a smog pump. Have you met any locals yet? I was relatively new here not too long ago , and the guys here were great at welcoming me in. When you get something and need help, don't hesitate to ask /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mason

mason Newbie

Sweet, well now I have a reason to bust @$$ on the yard so I'm thinkin it will be done in 3 weeks. Then I'll be whoring all over the boards and looking for trail rides, been too long... I'm think I am going to look for an older rig, I miss being able to open the hood and see a nice simple small block wihtout 10 miles of vacuum hoses and 10 computers telling it how to run.

We just moved out to Guadalupe and Crismon use to be at Brown and Ellsworth right next to the little mountain there.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello and welcome! Ive got a 70, its great, only one vacuum hose to the advance on the distributor. I have to get it smogged annually ($18) but they never open the hood and only check the gas cap every few years, they just put it on the dyno and it passes easily. Its not much of a DD though, if I ever get another one Im going to go 87 or newer to get fuel injection plus I love that body style almost as well as the 1st gen. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. pauly383

Mason, bigyellowjimmy (jeff) helped with my lift. Hes good people too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    If I were to do it all over again I woulkd have bought a K30 from the get-go, and If I really wanted a K5, just bought a K5 tub and swapped it. It's just so much easier, and cheaper in the long run when you get all the HD parts already factory installed. My friend just picked up a 1986K30, with a straight clean body (1 cab corner need a little TLC no big deal) 350 (it's a little tired), SM465/NP205 Dana 60/70 for a grand cdn...or about $700USD! It's a great truck to start from and I was cursing myself that I didnt have the cash to pick it up

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

there is a blazer in the autotrader, new motor/tranny /t-case and loads of goodies for 2 grand /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

dude you are right near alot of my buddies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mason

mason Newbie

Yeah there are a couple mid 70's in there with new motor and tranny, fairly stock that are just tempting me to pull the money out and go get...I can't wait to get one going and meet up with you guys, supersize those pics are killin me, and that is one sic rig you got going...All my buddies are building $30k sand rails and for some reason I just can't get into that.

13. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    for some reason I just can't get into that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't either. There is just something so cool about flexing axles and putting tires in the air........now I want to go wheeling NOW /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif