Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another "Another Dana 60 question"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another \"Another Dana 60 question\"

When I tore apart my axle everything was shot, the kingpins were grooved, worn, and pitted (no lube and tons of moisture). Because of this the kingpin seals were gone (actually in pieces/chunks). I have been looking at the knuckles and the axle housing where the kingpins bolt to. It looks like the lip in the seal should face down on the axle "C" so that the "seal" will seal against the bottom of the knuckle and keep the grease in the kingpin cavity. If I were to place it with the lip up, it doesn't "look" like it will seal properly. My problem is that from pics I have seen, it "looks" like others have put the seal on with the lip facing up, but I was wondering what is the correct way (or how were your seals in from the factory)?

Any help is appreciated as I am hoping to get the knuckles on this weekend.

TIA.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Another \"Another Dana 60 question\"

Seal faces "up" to do just that....keep the grease in the plastic bushing cavity and upper knuckle. If you install it in the "down" position, the grease will ooze out when you pump it in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Another \"Another Dana 60 question\"

As usual,

THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(Bows down Wayne's World Style)/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I'm not worthy, /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I'm not worthy, /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I'm not......

Hopefully I will be done with my "project" shortly.

In the end D60, 14FF (both locked), 454+, 4L80(not E), NP205 (with Fraud 32 spline front output), HAD shafts, and tons of grade 8 zinc plated hardware and stainless (gotta have the "classy" NOT in your face "Bling").

Looking to get rid of a 1 ton frame and 14FF (with swapped out 3/4 hubs/drums, as the 1 ton stuff made it on my axle). Any local interest, PM me.