Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Auto/SM Tranny Swap Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noahrob, Dec 7, 2005.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hi,

Let me start by saying I have used the search a lot before I even thought about asking a question...but here it is...

When going from a TH400/205 to a SM465/205, will new holes need to be drilled in the frame to accept the crossbrace bolts since the transmissions are different lengths? I am thinking that with the bellhousing et al...I might actually be on the money, but just thought I would ask.

2. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

When I replace a th350 with an sm465, I had to drill new holes. HTH's.

3. noahrob

Cool, thanks, I will be ready with the drill just in case. A few other quick questions.

1) Where can I get that Z-bar bracket?
    2) Where can I get a clutch pedal assembly rebuild kit (busihings, springs, etc..)?
    3) Are the bolts that hold the tranny to the Bell housing 7/16 grade 8? I saw one post indicating they were metric, but that doesn't make sense on a 1973 Chevy...does it?

Thanks to anybody willing to help out.

4. noahrob

anyone?

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

the bolts should be 3/8". the other stuff you'll need to find 'em out of a yard or other donor truck(most likely). don't forget there's also a hydraulic clutch, too that you could go with.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The z-bar bracket you'll probably need to get from a yard.
    The pedal rebuild stuff, and the z-bar components (there's balls, seals in there too), I have a GM parts manual and I ordered each individual seal and bushing etc from GM. Ended up costing like $50 in the end (and I already had the Z-bar!). I'm away from home right now, or I'd post the diagrams and part numbers, but if you go to a dealer, they can still get all that stuff. I Even got a new rod (the rod from pedal to Z-Bar), as the ends of mine were worn so bad, they were about half the diameter they should have been, creating alot of slop.

7. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of valuable resources for small obscure parts like pedal bushings. I suggest getting catalogs from LMC Truck and ChevyDuty. They have combined to supply me for many 80's pickup restorations.

8. noahrob

Thanks, you guys have been great and the support has really helped. I am going to order the little parts(bushings etc...) for the pedal assembly as well as the Z-Bar setup tomorrow.

9. 73k5blazer

Smart move. Alot of people wonder why they're pedal is so loose and clutch feel gets vauge, and alot of it has to do with this little bushings and the ball joints on the Z-Bar.

10. noahrob

One more dumb question (for now) does the Z bar bolt to the block right above the oil filter or the Bellhousing?

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

One end bolts to the frame the other sits in the ball on the bell housing.

12. 73k5blazer

Yep, to the bellhousing. Bellhousing will have stub for a screw in ball on the drivers side.