Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Best Ride Quality Thread

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KJayBlaze, May 1, 2007.

1. KJayBlaze

KJayBlaze Registered Member

I would like to go with a lift in the 6" to 8" range and run 35"-37" tires. I know there are many ways to achieve these lift numbers. I do not offroad (I know you guys probably think I am crazy) I just drive it highway miles so I am looking for the best highway ride quality (off roading factors are irrevelant for my situation)
    After checking over your site, I am starting to get overwhelmed with ideas and wanted to see what you guys thought.
    Lets start with the rear since that's probable the easiest. One I could just go with all spring lift (tuff country seems like the softest ride for the money out there). So 1st option would be to choose either the 6" or 8" leaf spring and keep the stock shackle the way it is.
    Option two is to flip the stock shackle (I guy did that on the site but it didn't say how much lift he)
    Option 3 would be to get either the 2.5" or 4" ORD Shackle kit and run a shorter lifted spring to achieve my 6"-8" lift.
    Of all these options, what do think will yield the best ride?

On to the front.
    1. All spring
    2. Spring and lifted shackle
    3. 52" conversion. With this option I have a few questions. I think you said on the web you got around 5" of lift with the swap. Was that the stock spring? You took a leaf out too right? Say it was the stock rear spring and you got 5" of lift, would it be safe to say that a 2" lifted rear spring would yield a 7" lift in the front? I think you said you took a leaf out to get more clearance for the steering? I guess that is another option of mine for both the front or rear. Could I use a taller spring than I want, take a leaf out, and get a better ride? For example, so I wanted 6" lift in the rear and I had an 8" spring, took a leaf or two out, get a better ride than a normal 6" spring??

Thanks guys,

Kev

2. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

Understanding that I'm more interested in off-road performance, I'll offer my opinion anyway for what it's worth :)

In almost all cases, the flatter the spring is, the more compliant the ride will be.

Rear: If you've got a stock drivetrain and aren't into drag racing (thus not worrying about axle wrap) the best ride for 8" of lift is likely to be 4 inch blocks and the ORD 4" shackle flip setup with your stock springs. (assuming they're not TOO thrashed.... replace the bushings while you've got it apart.)

Front: No blocks here, and the shackle isn't a compression setup, so you're stuck with all spring pretty much. Whether you do this with some nice Tuff Country EZ rides (yes, softest spring for the buck) or doing something more involved like the 52" swap is largely up the time/expertise/money you want to put into it.

If you're only ever on pavement and just looking to clear big tires, you might also go with less suspension (say 4" front springs and the shackle flip in the back) and then a 3" body lift.

A good set of shocks also helps a LOT.

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Rear:
    4" Shackle flip & 2" springs (I just hate blocks)

Front:
    6" springs.

TuffCountry E-Z Rides are a good bet. The best would be to have custom springs made. They will make the best spring for your vehicle & ride desires. Expect to pay $200+ per spring though:eek1::eek1:

Don't do good shocks, spend a little more and get excellent ones:D:D Bilstiens. 5100's or 5125's. 7100's for $$BLING$$:D;):D

4. KJayBlaze

KJayBlaze Registered Member

thanks guys for the info