Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Big Block in a 1st Gen??? :)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak bandit, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I was sick from work yesterday, so I sat on the couch and watched TV all day...NOT! :D

Getting ready to fit the engine for clearance
    [​IMG]

Engine centered over the motor mounts
    [​IMG]

Driver's side firewall before the beating :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

...and after :D
    [​IMG]

I notched a little piece of the frame to add clearance to the PS pump and pulley...It cleared okay before I notched it, but I figured what the heck.
    [​IMG]

The distributor cleared fine without any beating...thanks to the 3in body lift.
    [​IMG]

Oil pan clearance wasnt even an issue with the stock crossmember. I used the small block mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is how it sits right now...
    [​IMG]

After I fit the engine for clearance, I attached the tranny and slid it in as one piece. This made for a very easy install.
    I still have to fit the headers in, but it looks pretty tight :( I'll update when I get them in...if they fit...
    The passenger side firewall required minimal "massaging" to fit the valve cover.
    I cant wait to fire this bad boy up! :woot:

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Looks great and so glad it fit with minimal effort for you.

Mark this one up as another "I don't understand why I had such problems and you didn't post" :o

When do you expect to be firing it up?

:waytogo: :saweet: :woot: :bow:

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice work. I can't wait to get mne going.............too many projects :rolleyes:

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Nice pics! I hope mine goes that easy(if i ever get that far :mad: ). I really appreciate the "firewall massage" pics. Keep us updated/motivated :D

PS is that the 1st gen crossmember?

5. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

Old Dawg; Yes that is a 1st gen crossmember. What year oil pan is that or is it aftermarket? I had distributor clearance without body lift but had to massage firewall a little more than you but not much.

Looking good!!!

6. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Thanks!
    Yep, that's the stock 1st gen crossmember. The oil pan is aftermarket. I picked it up at the local parts store. It's made by Spectre. They had them in chrome or unplated. I got the unplated for $70 and just painted it. It holds either 4 or 5 quarts, cant remember.

7. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Now if I can get the machine shop to finish the heads maybe I can get a trial fit before the snow hits :crazy:

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweeeeet!
    Nice Job!
    Keep us posted...
    Burt

9. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

So I need to start thinking about exhaust. Would there be anything wrong with reusing my old 2-1/4 pipes? Or should I got with 2-1/2 minimum? Not sure which mufflers yet...I'd like to run some Flowmaster 70's, but it might be a little cramped since they're kinda big. Opinions welcome!

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran some 70 flows behind my 402 and they sounded really good, loud enough but not 'I hate the neighbors' loud. :wink1:

I have a set of 40's behind the 396 with an H pipe and they sound good to but not as good as the 70's, IMO.

Nice install pics, keep em coming.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bought a set of 70 BigBlock II Flows, they are forkin HUGE :doah:
    When I took my K5 to the muff shop the guy had a set of 50s. We test fit the two and the 50s were a much better choice for me so the muff guy just swaped me the 70s for the 50s. My 454 is nice and quite at idel, then when I get on it, nice and loud. Not nearly as loud as the 40s I was running when I forst fired my 454. Now thoes were LOUD....
    Here are my 50s with Hpipe:
    [​IMG]

12. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I've got dual Flow 50's on the K5 right now. I like the way they sound too. I'm just wondering if it's wise to use 2-1/4" pipe for the big block. What's the minimum diameter I should run?
    If I have to go with a bigger pipe diameter, I'll probably get the 70's...

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't realy know what the minimum is?
    I decided on 2 1/2" pipe mainly cuz that is what the mufflers have, that and the collectors that came with my THorley headers go from 3" to 2 1/2" so I figured I would keep the pipe the same size...

I know some backpresure is good but I don't know when too much backpresure or restriciton becomes a problem??

14. My Big Jimmy

My Big Jimmy Registered Member

i got my exhaust done a few months ago and i got 3" all the way with 40s(veryloud). But 2 1/2 is very good for a motor below 400hp. and with the 70s(kinda loud) or 40s(neibors hate u loud) would sound awsome. 2 1/4 would prolly be too small, and the 3" u get a very distinct sound that i wanted. so to some up below 400hp-2 1/2 perfect
    40s-very loud
    70s- can start in mornin without waking neibors
    i wouldnt do 2 1/4 but just me
    3"-400hp and above- backpressure ur gonna lose, ur only goin to be able to tell on a dyno. p.s im no mechanic, just read alittle before i go it done.

100_3934.JPG

100_3929.JPG

100_3551.JPG

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm sure that running turndowns isn't helping with the noise either....

:usaflag:

16. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Agreed, plumb the pipes out the sides behind the rear tires if you want to quite it down more, that'd make a huge difference.

Would also get rid of the fumes better.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  17. My Big Jimmy

My Big Jimmy Registered Member

on the contrary, the truck did get quiter wen i put the turndowns on. only problem is i have dirt all around me and wen i rev it up, dust blows everwhere. only complant. i have no neibors and i wanted it pretty loud.

18. RudyO

RudyO 1/2 ton status

2.5 is usually the preferred diameter for the street. Good all around gains. The bigger the pipe the more resonation(?) (tinny sound) you will get. Less back pressure as stated though. The sound may really get annoying if you drive your rig much also. Only thing about those turn downs- what type of wheelin you will be doing may suffer. Those are gonna hurt in a mud pit.

19. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Question to OP.......Did/do you have any problems with getting the valve covers off the engine with the tight clearence? Seems like it would be tought to remove.