Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Big Block Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blknblublazer, Jan 15, 2002.

1. blknblublazer

blknblublazer Registered Member

I've got a 74 350/350 with a p/t 203 (just got a 205 to rebuild), truetrack & a locker with 4:11's and 6" softride system. I'm currently running 33's but moving up to 37's real soon. I bought a 93 454 longblock with 60K on it and I'm rebuilding it with 9:6 forged, edelbrock performer RPM, and other goodies. My question is on these newer generation V blocks that had serpentine belts what should I use for a water pump, brackets for AC & alternator with headers so I can run standard v belts & pulleys? The only thing my engine came with was the balancer. I know about the mounts and the 350 kickdown cable, (I can't wait to tackle that one) from the threads but I'm hoping to find a TH400. What about reccomended torque converter stall speeds for 37's and radiator size requirements for the big block?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have the serpentine setup now? Did all the brackets come with the engine? I've got all the brackets, water pump, etc. for the v-belt, standard rotation big blocks. I'd be willing to trade for the serpentine stuff, if yours is what I'm looking for. Can you sorta describe where the various accessories are mounted with your setup?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I think that he didn't get anything with his...

As for the pullys, I used a March kit that I got from Summit for $167. All the brackets are stock BBC brackets. I have heard that the ALT brackets are the tough ones to find... Are you sticking with the AC? If so, I have a few sets of AC brackets that I can heft your direction - just PM me.

On the radiatior, just go to <a target="_blank" href=http://radiator.com>radiator.com</a>, and order from there. I bought the 4 core STD replacement rad., and its worked great.

Finally, the TH350 kickdown isn't so bad, don't be scared of it at all. The TH400 is more difficult to kickdown, because it needs an electrical switch to get it to kickdown. I never even bothered setting mine up... I just use the column shifter! [​IMG] And you wonder why I had to rebuild the column a week ago?!!!

Anyhow, if you have any other questions... feel free to PM me. I'll help where ever I can. Good luck!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

4. KRAZIE87K5

And fill out your profile!!!

5. blknblublazer

My apologies for the late reply. My block didn't come with anything. Just the long block w/balancer. Everything else I need. I've got the Summit catalog &amp; I'm not afraid to use it.. Are standard big block water pumps compatable? Long or short style or do I need to order a factory chevy pump (ouch!)?

6. blknblublazer

Thanks for the tips. I have the a/c brackets used for the small block install but the A6 has never had a belt on it since before I bought it. No idea if it works or not but the brackets are slightly rigged to function with the headers. Do you know if I can use a standard BB long or short water pump on a Gen V block or would I need to get a factory one?

7. KRAZIE87K5

You'll need the short pump more than likely. It really depends on which brackets you end up with. Should be able to get a short-style pump from AutoZone for ~$20. Easy enough huh? [​IMG]

8. blknblublazer

Thank you. Anyone have a reccomendation for a good engine shop? I was going to take the 454 to Maximum's machine shop.

9. KRAZIE87K5

I wish I lived in CO so I could give you pointers on a good machine shop - but I live in IL unfortunatly. [​IMG] Good luck!

-Dan