Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another bike wanted post

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by BranndonC, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm gonna check out some back roads near my house and if i see any nice bike trails there, if there is i'd want to get a bike to take out there. i know nothing about motocross. I don't know which brands are the best, what anything means and what i want, can someone who knows about bikes write me a little "dirt bikes for dummies" post or something? also can anyone recomend me a nice bike?

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

you can't go wrong with Honda, they make everything to last. I'd stay away from Suzuki at this point. yamaha makes a good bike. Dirtbikes come in two flavors, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. 2 strokes require you to mix your gas with oil due to their funky oiling system and the engines have to be rebuilt more often. 4 strokes use regular pump gas and don't have to be rebuilt quite as often.

two strokes build lots more power the higher you rev them and can be scary to someone who's never ridden one before. 4 strokes tend to be more predictable have more torque and handle hard surfaces better.

Most manufacturers make two types of bike, recreational and performance. usually the performance run sizes 125, 250, 500, etc. all the other sizes are usually the recreational ones. Not to say that a racer can't be used for fun. Don't be intimidated by big displacement. My first motorcycle was a 1200cc, but it's a streetbike. A nice 250 or 400 4 stroke would probably be great as long as your careful. if you want a 2 stroker, go with a 125 or 250.

that's just my opinion, if anybody has any better info, jump right in.

Eric

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a dirt biker, but I do have something for you to think about on that subject. Around here, I see adds on TV ( Any new Honda just $29.00 a month. )If they're doing that nationally, might be worth checking out. You could check out the bikes and talk to the people there about test riding them. That way you could decide what one best fits your needs.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wow... thanks so much man, i'll print that right now and save it. it was very helpful! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

PM me if I can help. I know you posted this in another forum, and got a great response there. But I'll help in any way I can.

6. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I would recomend a Honda definently! they last for ever and use quality parts. Im on my third Honda(98 CR250) and they rip. get a two stroke if you dont know much about dirtbikes because they are so simple. but be careful because it might get in your blood, happened to me.
    -Kell-