Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Body work ? How do you remove the pin stripe?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So I'm in the process of doing some body work to my truck so that I can paint it. Well I have that dreaded pin stripe all along the side of my truck. You know the one that like an inch wide and is ugly as hell. Well I tried to scrape it and then tried to sand it and that thing is on there good. What have you guys used to remove it? I don't want to go out and buy different chemicals that may or may not work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Eastwood has some rubber eraser thing for a drill that is suppose to remove that stuff.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If it is the decal type... You can use a heat gun.. It will warm up the glue so it will scrap right off. Before you go out and by a heat gun. You could try it with a blow dryer on a small area.. If it works go out and buy it.. There like $25.00 at any hardware store......Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Steph's Webpage&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

5. Esteban86K5

So I go back outside after I write this post and remembered that I have a heat gun. So I whip it out and start too use it. Well it gets the pinstripe off but it leaves the adhesive there. So I guess now all I have to do is get some acetone and remove all the adhesive. The heat gun worked a little slow, but I think sanding would have been slower. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I gottta go back to work.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

rubbing alcohol will get rid opf the sticky stuff left over. cheaper than the acetone.
    nathan

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Have fun. I just went through this with my Suburban. Luckily only on the new doors. That sticky stuff was A PAIN to get off. Acetone wouldnt do it easily like I thought. Lots of rubbing.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

for the glue residue left on there I would use Goo-Gone or OOPS or some other chemical you can find in your local discount store paint department. I like the goo-gone best! Next time you remove stickers or pinstripe from any car with heat...do it slow, take your time, and allow the glue plenty of time to get hot and most of it will peel off with the sticker or pinstripe. Then use a little elbow grease to get the remaining residue off. There should not be to much if done properly!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Nonesuch...
    I am all done and already did this. Should reply to the correct person.

To add on... I did use a heat gun and did allow it to wam up. The paint would actually bubble before I was able to wipe off the sticky stuff. Goo gone did noting for it at all. Goo gone and such products are no match 20 year old original pinstriping.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Esteban I have an air grinder with 36 grit sand paper. That might work. I'll even volunteer my 4 year to do it for you.

See you tonite (I hope).
    Richard

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

11. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Astro Wheel, get them at any body shop for about $10. You will need an air drill to spin it fast enough, basicly it is a big disc shaped pencil eraser.

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest

12. Esteban86K5

I know what you mean about it being a PAIN Ken. I had some acetone in the garage and attacked it last night and it didn't come off as easy as I thought it would. The paint did bubble a little with the heat gun and I think I was taking off more paint than glue at one piont. Which sucks cause now I have to deal with that. I've got some Isopropyl Alcohol that I'm gonna give a try with.

Thanks all for the replies and the help.

13. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I don't have a heat gun but i got my acetyline torch to melt the glue!!!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

14. Esteban86K5

I said melt the glue, Mike!!!! Not the METAL!!![​IMG][​IMG]

15. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I took mine off with a pressure washer. Took off the decal and adheasive...no residue or 1000 clogged sanding pads

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

16. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I removed some old stripes once. I used a heat gun to get the stripe off, and then 3M Adhesive Remover for the glue residue. I tried many methods, but I thought this one worked the best. Most hardware stores carry 3M Adhesive Remover. Test it on your paint first to make sure it is compatable.

I haven't heard of a pressure washer being used for this before. It might be worth a try.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

17. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Listen to Gandolf, the 3M adhesive remover is what we used to "dechrome" many trucks with the stick on emblems and stripes, works great.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

18. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Listen to Gandolf, the 3M adhesive remover is what we used to "dechrome" many trucks with the stick on emblems and stripes, works great.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

19. Esteban86K5

I used the heat gun and then I applied the 3m adhesive remover with no luck. The acetone worked better even though it was still slow. How old was the vehicle you used it on. Maybe that's the problem. My buddy used it on his NEW truck to remove the adhesive form his trim and it worked pretty good. Mine are just stubborn[​IMG]

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Try a little lacquer thinner on the stripe glue.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>